Author Topic: Rear suspension link and lifting/supporting  (Read 608 times)

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Rear suspension link and lifting/supporting
« on: February 13, 2023, 19:02:58 »
Was going to post this in the "what have you done today", but it got a bit long.

Since (at least on the 2017+ 650), the centre stand needs to come off to access some of the bolts of the rear suspension link, I've had a gander round how to support the bike whilst its lifted off the ground. I've got no way of supporting it from above (without seriously impeding space around the bike), but I do have some axle stands. Trawled the net yesterday to find ideas...

I've got a front wheel chock on the way, and then my idea was to support the bike using the pillion peg brackets (on the box section where the pin goes through, with some rubber on the axle stands)... I cannot really see any other way, without getting in the way (using a jack and piece of wood under the central section, where I'd need access anyway). Does anyone know if these brackets can support the weight of the rear (I think they will?), or have any other suggestions?

First things first though, it needs a damned good clean... I sprayed as many nuts with penetrating fluid as I could, but there is a lot of crap under there which I have neglected to clean :(

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Rear suspension link and lifting/supporting
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 07:25:04 »
There are a few methods of lifting the rear wheel from the ground.  With the front wheel in the wheel chock, suspend the rear end from either rafters, a sturdy tree branch or off something similar to that demonstrated in youtube titled "Motorcycle Lift for $35" posted by in 2011 so the cost is no longer $35  (youtube.com/watch?v=3zLXrq8pIpw)
For a pix on the $35 lift in action, see reply #9 of https://www.svrider.com/threads/motorcycle-lift-not-table-on-an-sv650.114788/#post-1759956
I went the $35 Motorcycle Lift route back in 2015 and it has served me well thus far.  Granted not used very often but there when needed.
Perhaps a word of causion, any of the above suggested methods to lift your motorcycle could be dangerous to use, but then so is riding any bike in high traffic.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 08:54:44 »
The ABBA stands use the pillion peg attachments to lift the rear for removing the swingarm where you can't use the main pivot as they usually do.
They lift by replacing one of the bracket mount bolts with a longer one rather than lifiting on the actual bracket but I'm certain the pillion pegs will be fine, the rear of a bike is not really that heavy given the weight is all forward of the main pivot in terms of engine and gearbox and some pillions are probably heavier than you'll be talking about, especially if you whip the rear wheel out nice and quick once it's up ;)

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000A L8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 10:38:16 »
The ABBA stand, when using the swingarm removal kit, users the riders footpeg fixings.

Isn't the swingarm pivot hollow? (I can't remember and can't be bothered to check) if it is, I'd just a get a length of 10mm dia. steel rod or rebar, put it through the pivot and support on axle stands.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 11:25:56 »
Apologies, so it does, the photo on the instructions is of a Fireblade and the pegs are so bloody high I mistook them for the pillion ones. My mistake.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 18:06:21 »
Disassembled the center stand from the bike, lots of swearing at the tight tolerances between bolts and exhaust.

Pivot points/sleeves on the center stand were as dry as a bone, but not worn. Center stand itself probably needs blasting and repainting - I may run without it for the time being so I can get that done.

Everything under my bike appears to be covered, in what can only be described, as super sticky tar. I presume this is probably a result of the previous scottoiler that was on the bike... A sticky mess, but actually, everything underneath that later looks in really good nick, aside from a few rust spots (plus the suspension bolts all appeared to break loose with hardly any persuasion!). Cleaned up all the bolts and brackets with some touchups here and there. Also had the sidestand off, small paint touchup and lubed the pivot point, again, dry as a bone but now silky smooth.

A job for tomorrow now, but hopefully can get it off and inspect/lube, and if it needs replacement bearings or a link I'll pop it back on just so I can move the bike around!

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 15:14:28 »
Rain drew a stop to any work today... pants. Did manage to get a few more coats of paint on the brackets though, and sanded/cleaned the centre stand, and treatment with rust inhibitor ready for some hammerite touchup to see how it'll look.

I think that the axle stands on the pillion brackets should work - I've got some old rubber inner tube that will hopefully prevent any marring to the pillion peg brackets. I also have a large ladder which can be orientated into an "A"... which I may or may not put in place just to be a standby measure in case the bike were to move off the axle stands. It's fairly lightweight aluminium so I'm not certain that I could support the bike totally from it, but, it can definitely take my weight at the top of the "A" so maybe it could?  :grin:

I did consider some steel bar through the swingarm pivot, however, I think the axle stands would then be totally in the way of working...

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 19:17:41 »
I'm fairly certain that I put the axle stands on the frame by the rider footpags, and there was enough space to work around them with ratchet spanners.
Good luck

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 18:38:05 »
So, today was the day.

Got the bike up (and supported), wheel chock on the front and stands on the rear under the pillion pegs. I needed a slight bit more height so put 10mm of wood underneath the stands. Very stable, no concerns of it toppling.

All the nuts I had already loosened after soaking in penetrating fluid, so they all came undone without much persuasion. The suspension link swingarm pivot (at the top of the dogbones) needed a little gentle tap with the end of the ratchet as it had corroded a little in the sleeve.

All seemed lubricated already, not a huge amount of grease, but no wear marks or grooves (except for the slight bit of corrosion on the one pivot which brushed off).

The central frame pivot, however, would not budge. I swore at it in a couple of different languages, I whacked it, I soaked it in more penetrating fluid. It'd turn, just not come out (I presume, stuck in the sleeve). The exhaust was right in the way too for easy access for the hammer, so it had to be whacked remotely.... Left the nut on the end so I wouldn't damage the threads. The bearings feel OK, and it's swinging freely, so I do wonder if they've just not put any grease on the pivot bolt...

Eventually, after realising that if I continued I'd likely wash out whatever grease was in the bearings already, and/or damage them, I made the executive decision to just clean and lube the others. Washed out the grease, regreased with plenty of lithium EP2, and reassembled.

I will get my local garage to have a look later this year, at least all the other bolts will come undone for them!

Centre stand paint is currently setting, then that will go back on, after I've got enough motivation to fight the springs! 😂

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 19:30:40 »
I ended up buying a spare one for £30 delivered as mine were shot. It might be worth doing the same if you think there's a good chance it's done for, that way it's a straight swap and no messing about.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 20:29:16 »
I couldn't get the top front one out when the nut was removed, I took it to my local man & he couldn't either using 'normal methods', so I too bought a second hand suspension link, plus with the required bearings, from my local bearing shop, took it back to my man & he used a cutting tool & he said " a lot of f**ks" to get the old one out. Fitted the new bearings to the new (second hand) link, re-fitted it to the bike & relieved me of more of my hard earned.
I will remove it every other year now & grease it, not leave it for 8 years!!!
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 21:23:10 »
I read that heating it (the link) may free it up, and I also considered using some lateral pressure/hammer hits (at/under the link), but really didn't want to damage it if I couldn't get it off, with no way of getting it to said garage without riding it. I don't feel too bad now if a proper mechanic couldn't get it out either! It is free to move, and doesn't appear to have any play or noise, so I guess it is just the pivot bolt stuck in the sleeve.

I'll keep an eye out for a second hand link ready for the fateful day at the garage, at least I know that all the sleeves I could get out were in decent nick.