Author Topic: BT Broadband Prices  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: BT Broadband Prices
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 18:26:56 »
This is our new BT Fibre.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 19:19:15 »
It's bonkers you can get that speed out in the sticks when city folk struggle to get 100mbps.

My area in a London postcode can't get above 70mbps but if I enable the 5g on my Samsung smart phone I can get 150mbps + ... :shrug:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2023, 19:44:12 »
The upload is as important as the download speed.Also, the latency.

We now have fibre all the way to the house, therefore the losses are minimal  :thumb:

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 20:01:36 »
Brocket, Openreach will provide FTTP, in your case it can be fed overhead the same as your present line is. If the pole at the end of your lane, or one close by, has what is known as a Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) & from what you say it should have, then fibre cable has been provided to that, so, a bit more fibre cable fed overhead the same way as your present installation will get you FTTP. There is a limit to the length of the span, between poles though & it may be less than with a copper drop wire, I don't know for certain though.

For those with copper cable & slower speeds than you should be getting this can be for all sorts of reasons & Mr. Nick seems to have had a few of them! Poor/corroded connections & damp are a few but using aluminium was the worst thing BT ever came up with (well, maybe not, but certainly one of them) as it's conductivity is almost half that of copper, it's weak & brakes easier but, I presume, at the time it was a cheaper alternative?
The other thing that is important to give the best speed possible is for the external (copper hopefully) to feed directly into your 'master socket' and your router to be plugged directly into that. If you have multiple sockets in the property they need to be fed from the connections in the cover plate of the master socket. If you can do without those sockets, let's say they've been in for years & you use cordless phones or as in Brockets case don't have a land line, remove the sockets or at least disconnect the wiring from the master.

Having said that, I'm guessing I've never looked, your contract will say "UP to X mbps speeds", not minimum of.     
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2023, 20:22:31 »
Ha Ha yes the term "up to" is almost, but not quite, an honest promise of service. Much like mother in law's "cup of tea" always weak and never a full cup.
Anyhow interesting info Mick. Now I'll have to find out what FTTP means.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2023, 20:35:18 »
FTTP......Fibre to the Premises.  :)
Mick

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2023, 20:39:34 »
 :thumb:
FTTP as an acronym seems far more exotic
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2023, 06:51:50 »
According to the email I got from BT, most people on my service typically get 67Mb/s.... well not in my road they don't and I am not in the sticks, I am in a rapidly growing seaside town in the South West, just about 25 miles from Bristol.

Anyway, order placed with Virgin Media. That will be FTTP and I have chosen the service which provides a mere 132 Mb/s.

However, the ex-computer engineer in me is not cancelling the BT contract until the Virgin system is working.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2023, 08:15:32 »
Don't forget, any devices in your home that are 10/100mbs (Switches/Hubs/WAPs) will need to be upgraded if you get a higher speed service.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2023, 09:42:30 »
If you swap from BT to Virgin, make sure they don't rip out the BT wiring & socket as my other half worked with Sky on the broadband side, and this is not uncommon, making it more expensive for them to leave Virgin again.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2023, 10:13:39 »
It's a good idea Nick, but if you have cordless phones it's not so important. Any internal wiring or sockets are only required if you use 'plug in' phones. 
Mick

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 11:17:47 »
I got FTTP with BT a couple of years ago, the biggest difference I noticed was upload speed. I take a lot of photo's and with each image being about 12 mb I used to put 100 images into the cloud upload folder last thing at night as they would take a few hours to upload, with fibre it has gone from hours to minutes  :thumb:

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 12:51:23 »
Virgin didn't just interfere with the internal wiring: they took out the BT master socket and cut back the wiring going to it, leaving the householder with no way to go back to BT without a re-connection to the junction box, wherever that was.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2023, 14:19:23 »
Thanks for the heads up about Virgin. I will insist that everything BT is left alone for the reasons already given I.e. NEVER switch off the old kit until all the snags have been sorted with the new stuff.

Fat Rat: I don't have any of that gubbins, the BT hub is right next to the socket and plugs straight into it.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2023, 20:35:24 »
Virgin are swtiching to erything down the fiberoptic.

The phone now plugs into the router... great until the power goes out and you need to make a call in an emergency.

OK we have mobiles, and ditched the TV package and phone, just have the broadband with Vigrin and run a firestick in the TV.

It's not the cheapest, but BT can't match the speed and I do work from home a few days a week and BT's guaranteed daytime speed would cause issues with my access to the works server and taking a call through the laptop.

Ride Coordinator

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2023, 22:46:05 »
The "power out phone calls" thing was a reason my parents didn't want to switch. I did point out that they had mobile phones, and their cordless DECT phones wouldn't work if the power went out anyway... Some routers (or modems, looking at Openreach) have provision for a battery backup system which will maintain a connection if the power goes out, they'll give those to people for free if they've got a valid reason for it (I.e. monitored alarms, elderly pendant alarms, etc).

Regardless, when they switch off the standard PSTN in (2025 they say, probably later), all phone calls regardless of your internet connection will go via the internet.