Author Topic: V strom 650 accessory mounting  (Read 435 times)

Offline Gorillastrom

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 V strom 2009
V strom 650 accessory mounting
« on: February 09, 2023, 01:58:48 »
Hello everyone,
I have a 2009 v strom 650 and just installed the mounting bar that screws onto the windscreen bracket and enables accessories to be added to the bike. My intention was to install a phone mount. However, I have now seen a lot of warnings from Apple that engine vibrations can destroy the image stabiliser on their phones. Every YouTube video I see shows people mounting their phones directly to the handlebars. My question is, does this also cause a problem when the phone is mounted to the windscreen bracket? I presume the vibration is still severe enough to potentially damage the phone? I’d like to use the phone as Sat Nav as my journey into london is often disrupted by traffic and roadworks hence seeing live routes saves me time.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Re: V strom 650 accessory mounting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 02:25:14 »
IMO I wouldn't mount any phone with OIS (optical image stabilisation) to the bike without a vibration dampening mount. I have a Sat Nav mounted to my accessory bar and it vibes quite a bit depending on the road surface!

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 06:39:04 »
I trust that you have had a peek at https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41299.0 and https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41193.0 ?
The Quadlock mount with vibration dampener and wireless charging, of which I've read on a few motorcycle sites, was said to work like a charm. The idea of there being no USB cable to rattle loose, to me, is a huge plus.

Offline Gorillastrom

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 V strom 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 08:20:47 »
Yeah I’ve seen quad lock. I guess I was hoping that this screen mounting position would be better than a direct handlebar mount. Thank you for your feedback , I’ll have to go for audio direction until I am familiar with the various routes. Until I’ve saved enough for a quad lock mount with vibration dampening.