Author Topic: Misrepresented Insurance Application - Cover started already  (Read 806 times)

Offline Angus

• Bike: DL650A L3
I just bought third party fire and theft insurance for my bike which started this morning.
 I forgot to declare on my application form about a claim I was involved in two years ago. Nothing to do with the motorbike it was when I skidded on ice driving a car while named on another person's policy. Will they check and find out about this or should I own up to it now?

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Misrepresented Insurance Application - Cover started already
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 13:21:39 »
You should own up. They won't check until you make a claim then they'll void your policy for failure to disclose a material fact

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 15:16:31 »
Yes declare it.  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline stoatsngroats

• Bike: VStrom 800 DE
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 17:44:58 »
It’s possible they know already as they interrogate the MID. You may have a letter on its way to you quite quickly.
DAMHIK! 👍🙏
Quiet applause will do.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 18:05:54 »
Just cancel it is an option...
You have a 14 day "cooling off period " from the start of the policy.
They will charge you pro rata for the days of cover you've used and an admin fee.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 20:58:19 »
From what I've read in Ride etc they don't cancel the policy until you make a claim. Then the cancel it and refund your policy. Also, if they cancel it - even if now pre-accident - it can affect future policies.
Best bet is to call them and tell them about the incident. They'll either tell you there's no difference or what any additional premium is. You can then decide to cancel if too expensive.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 21:03:16 »
Even if you cancel with your present insurer you've still got to declare it with your new one, so you may as well do it with these.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 23:31:44 »
From what I've read in Ride etc they don't cancel the policy until you make a claim.

Probably depends on the insurer, Bikesure contacted me about a claim that I hadn't declared (as they originally told me not to!). All sorted out, and turns out, I didn't need to declare it anyway...

I can't see them cancelling your policy if you contact them and just own up to forgetting to declare it, maybe just say you reviewed your docs and realised it wasn't on there. We're humans, not robots, and humans forget stuff.

You may find that it's either not relevant, or they won't take it into account anyway, just like my claim.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 23:29:23 »
Let them know as soon as possible.
7 years ago I was using one of the "compare the Meerkat" type sites and answered an ambiguous question wrong, I had had a claim in a car which I didn't declare thinking the question was about bike claims, a couple of weeks after the bike policy started I got a letter saying I hadn't declared the car claim so they were cancelling my insurance. This has affected ALL my insurances since then (car, bike, house etc.) as one question that is always asked is "have you EVER had insurance refused or cancelled" which when I answer yes most places won't insure me. It took me a few days phoning to get insurance for my bike and ended up paying about 4 times the original premium when I eventually found someone who would insure me.
Since then I have to find a company that has a human that will speak to me when I want insurance for anything as with any online companies "the computer says no" when I tick the "cancelled" box, unlike the "any accidents/convictions in the last 5 years" question there seems to be no time limit on the "cancelled" question.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 00:12:42 »
The "cancelled by the insurer" box has no time limit unfortunately afaik. Did you take it through the complaints process and to the ombudsman at the time?

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 08:59:36 »
I was more concerned about finding some insurance at the time so I could use my bike, I spoke to the company that cancelled it and they fully understood what had happened, but their computer said "no" so that was final.
I suppose it's too late after 7 years to do anything now?.

Offline Angus

• Bike: DL650A L3
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 10:25:43 »
Many horror stories here. So I took your advice and contacted them. There was no difference in insurance premium but they still charged me £40 for the administration even though the policy only started the day before. Bloody extortion but worth it for the Peace of Mind.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 11:46:46 »
Glad you sorted it. Now they have no excuse not to pay out if you're unfortunate enough to have to make a claim.

(remember insurance companies aren't your friend. As a business, their starting point is: can we avoid paying for this?)

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 12:17:05 »
I have posted this link previously in a similar thread.
I highly recommend reading it to understand how in the ombudsmans opinion what action is, and is not, reasonable for the insurer to take in the event of non disclosure.
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/complaints-deal/insurance/misrep-and-non-disclosure