Author Topic: TRE Verses Power Commander  (Read 556 times)

Offline Allan Cross

• Bike: DL1000 K5
TRE Verses Power Commander
« on: November 01, 2022, 08:14:36 »
Little knowledge and dangerous and possibly costly...

So my question is, I have purchased and yet to fit a TRE for my K5, I was also thinking about a power commander to help with the low range judder at 3k revs.... Now I read somewhere if you have a TRE then you don't also need a Power Commander as it does the same thing, is this true?  Plus I have a set of scoripion end pipes not sure if that makes a difference with the low end judder...

Thanks in advance

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: TRE Verses Power Commander
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 09:08:00 »
A TRE tricks your bike its in 5th gear all the time so no speed limiter or retardation in lower gears, this can reduce a lurching feeling that some bikes have when riding at under half throttle. It's the cheaper option that's plug and play that can work but in some cases doesn't make a difference.

A power commander takes over your ECU mapping completely, it's versatile and far more advanced than a TRE.
To have one you need to remove the lamba sensor and the secondary throttle butterflies (these are the restriction in lower gears) and once a custom map is set up on a rolling road your bike will be transformed throughout the rev range.
This is obviously the more expensive version which would need to be fitted by a technician so be prepared to have your wallet lightened by £600 + .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 09:13:20 »
I know you've done the TPS check in another thread but it's also worth checking the throttle body sync (you can even balance the secondary plates with vernier guages if you're super fussy) and then check for any exhaust leaks at joints as well.
My K7 was fairly lumpy low down for the first 6 months or so but balancing the throttle bodies properly and fixing a leaking exhaust joint has smoothed her out a great deal for minimal cost. Obviously you may still decide to go down the TRE or PC route but make sure the bike as standard is as good as it can be before you go down the aftermarket fix route would be my 2 cents worth.

Offline Allan Cross

• Bike: DL1000 K5
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 15:51:53 »
Thanks for the pointers blokes