Author Topic: Damping force adjustment screw  (Read 442 times)

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
Damping force adjustment screw
« on: August 26, 2022, 12:45:33 »
2017 DL1000 AL8
Just over a week ago my bike went into a local independent workshop for fork oil replacement (no leaking or damaged seals just replace the 5 year old oil)
Short ride home I did feel the front suspension was much stiffer, didn’t think much about it parked it up and left it.
Yesterday I thought I’d check the settings (I’ve always had them as “standard factory settings”
Spring pre-load adjustment as I left it (position 4)
Compression damping (bottom of the forks) unchanged at 8 clicks out
Rebound damping (adjusted by a flat head driver top of forks) wound right up tight! :crazy:
A bit odd I thought so went about adjusting it back to the standard settings, tighten up and then back it off 8 clicks. The right hand fork reaches 8 clicks but no more, the left hand fork is backing off to around 7.5 turns so almost.
My question is does anybody know if 8 clicks out is the absolute limit or should the adjuster be capable of going beyond that? If that is the case clearly the workshop have got something wrong or worse butchered something internally perhaps?
With the adjusters backed off to 7 a piece the ride is definitely smoother, so they are having an effect.
I deliberately passed the job to a professional because it’s probably beyond my scope (tools and knowledge etc), and I will be returning to the shop but would like some pointers as to what might have gone wrong - anybody got a theory?
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Damping force adjustment screw
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 16:37:28 »
I think on my 14 I have about 12 clicks on the rebound screw, 8 is standard on mine also.
To change the oil you need to remove the fork leg top nut with the rebound and preload adjustments on it. This is connected to the damper rod by a 12mm locknut. There is a measurement for this nut. If the mechanic replaced the top fork nut to low you would lose adjustment. My theory. If your happy with it and it feels smoother I'd leave well alone.
I've  tried different oil and springs but never  been 100%, not even 75% happy as there's to much high speed compression damping but I've never wanted it fixed that much that I'd pay for a revalve!

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
Re: Damping force adjustment screw
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 16:54:21 »
Hi Porter - Ah that’s great info especially the bit regarding 12 clicks, something definitely isn’t right there. I’ve spoken with the garage and he’s rebooked the bike in, I was actually okay with the forks prior to this update - I only did it because I thought the oil might need replacing after 5 years.
Whilst they’re far from top end forks they were okay for the kind of riding I do on this bike - lazy long distance stuff in good weather. Hopefully he can return them to the full scope of adjustment - thanks again
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away