Author Topic: Should I or shan't I?  (Read 438 times)

Offline Robi55

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 900
Should I or shan't I?
« on: August 23, 2022, 20:30:50 »
Hello vStromers
An admission: an interloper here as I'm an NC750x owner but considering swaping to a vStrom 650 and am looking for honest owner feedback. I bought an NC from new about 18 months ago and the bike's good but I also rode the vStrom and really liked it, probably preferred it if I'm honest. But I was put off at the time by stories of quality issues. The bike will not be a Sunday special but used through winter (but not the worst weather) for commuting as well as a few longer trips - 4 to 5k a year. It will also be kept outdoors, but under a cover and washed regularly. Can the vStrom be kept looking at it's best with the right care? Am I worrying unecessarily or are some of the stories I've seen online and on YT something to be concerned about? Any help gratefully received before I try and book a test ride.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Should I or shan't I?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 20:45:06 »
If you ACF-50 it and clean it regularly it should be fine. I use ACF-50 Corrosion Block smeared on bolts etc for winter riding and the bike has 53,000 miles and looks in good condition for age/mileage.
The only real thing you might need to do is find the electrical connectors under the airbox and cover them with old innertubes to make them waterproof as Suzuki is too cheap to pay the pence to do this for you.

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
Re: Should I or shan't I?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 21:21:54 »
 I have owned five Ncx Honda's and even covering them with grease etc during winter riding a few of the fasteners and brackets have tarnished, which can happen with any bike used during the winter months.
I was also a bit concerned about Suzuki's when I bought my previous 1000 which held up quite well  over four years of use ,admittedly not through the thick of winter.
As long as you protect it and cold wash any salt off it should be fine.

The Honda NCX has better low speed handling, better MPG at lower speeds and also the trunk but other than that I have found the 650 to be a better bike.

I have used silicon spray grease to protect standard and accessory electrical connections for years without any problems.