Author Topic: Continental Road Attack  (Read 1432 times)

Offline chambersp1

• Bike: DL650 M0 2020
Continental Road Attack
« on: August 06, 2010, 14:09:03 »
Continental Road Attack

I know tyres are a very personal choice, but here are my thoughts on the Continental Road Attack tyres.

I got my bike new about 2 years ago. It came with the Bridgestone Trail Wings. I had changed from sports bikes to the V-Strom, so it took a bit of getting used to the way it handled.

The Trail Wings worked OK for me. I use my bike for commuting to work all year round, with mostly motorway riding. They didn’t offer massive levels of grip, but were predictable, even in the wet. They gave me good feed back and I knew what was going on. I had one or two “moments” on them, but nothing too bad. The rear would spin up in very wet weather if provoked, and would occasionally “drift out” a little if really pushed.  But in the dry they worked well enough to touch the foot pegs down when loaded up!

Anyway, when the rear came up to be replaced, I just fitted another Trail Wing. But it just wasn’t working that well. The front had loads of tread left, but was wearing strangely. Then rear then started to square off. So I decided to fit a new pair and start again.

I did loads of research on this site and on other sites. I’m a big fan of Bridgestone tyres, having used all sorts of them on various bikes. But I opted for the Continental Road Attacks to see how they went as the Bridgestone were either too sporty or just too expensive.

My main reason for changing tyre type was the odd handling as the Trail Wings wore out. I do all my miles on road, so don’t need a dual purpose tyre. I also wanted something that would give a bit more grip.

So observations on the Conti’s.

•   I fit all my own tyres. When fitting them the carcase was a bit stiffer than the trail wings.
•   They needed a lot more balance weights to get them balanced perfectly.
•   They make the bike turn in quicker, especially on long sweeping bends.
•   They “track” along joints/seems in bad road surfaces a bit more.
•   In heavy rain, there just doesn’t seem to be as much spray coming out the back of the bike.

None of the above comments are criticisms. Just observations.

I’ve done a 1000 or so miles on them now. Dry grip is better, wet grip is much the same as the Trail Wings. Handling is better, better turn in, and better directional stability. But then I guess the same would be true of any road biased tyre.

Overall I’m happy with them. Price was good (Black Circles), they “feel” OK. They look like they will not square off as quickly as the Trail Wings, and they are OK in the wet.
Would I recommend them? I guess I would, but everyone uses their bike for different things, so no 2 people will share the same view with tyres (it seems).

Hope it’s useful

Paul

Offline c.grex

Re: Continental Road Attack
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 15:42:17 »
I too have road attacks fitted.

Just had another fitted to the back after 4000 miles. didn't think that was brill, but got the new tyre for £90 fitted.