Author Topic: Ferries Dover to Calais  (Read 2072 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
Re: Ferries Dover to Calais
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2022, 15:40:22 »
Looked at the DFDS Newcastle-Amsterdam return fare. £900 fecking quid for early August!!

I'm going in September and it's £441 both ways with evening meal & breakfast. As it's only around 12 miles from my house it's a no-brainer for me.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2022, 16:39:40 »
Twenty One Twelve.
It's about 50 miles to North Shields for us and way easier than the bleeding M1.
I don't know the timings because it's around 4 years since we last used it but it used to work very well in both directions. Have they got any new boats on that route yet. I think it was about £700.00 for 2 folks and 1 bike for us so you've got a bit of a bargain.
Upt'North.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2022, 16:11:30 »
I've had it booked for a while to be fair so that may account for the price ? I think they are still using the Princess Seaways and the MS King Seaways ? I know one is more modern & better equipped than the other, both are likely to contain the drunkest people you will ever meet too  :obscene-drinkingchug:

I did the Chanel Tunnel a few years ago and it was such a mind numbing slog down the country and exactly 360 miles from my house. It's the ferry every time for me. There is a lot of gossip that the North Shields - Bergen ferry may be back by 2025. I sincerely hope so as the Scandinavian loop is on the 'to do' list !
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 17:10:54 »
I'm away to Santander in September (2020 booking!!!), 24 hour (can't do the 36 hour - would drive me crazy!!). Bike will be tied down, but I always make sure I put my gloves under the straps, even with a cushion. Some crossings prefer the bike to be on the side stand, and then force the bike down on that side. Always been worried about that but no ill effects so far...
Back a few weeks later Calais - Dover, Irish Ferries (£34). Will NOT entertain P&O.
The advantage of a ferry over tunnel - apart from price - is that you get chance to relax, grab a coffee and a sarnie, and rest the bum! Much better than sitting on the floor of a dirty carriage hoping your bike doesn't go over if they brake suddenly.
Just my tuppence worth...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 17:34:52 »
Yes, Definitely prefer the ferry.

Although its quick, I find the train Claustrophobic and boring. 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 18:23:19 »
I've been stuck on a Calais to Dover '90 minute' ferry for 3 hours while virtually everyone was seasick all over the boat. You could see, hear and smell it everywhere. The sea was so rough that the dock we were supposed to berth at was still occupied by the outbound ferry which couldn't set sail. God knows what state any bikes would have been in. No such issues on a train.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2022, 18:51:58 »
That's unlucky, the only issues I've experienced is the French Fishermen decided block the ports one year when returning home.  :dl_smiley_banghead:

The train saved me but at a double the cost because they knew the boats were out of action...  :dl_smiley_banghead:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2022, 21:58:44 »
Tunnel for me. I've used it three times & compared to the ferries I've used it is quicker loading & unloading & it's only a 35 minute trip.
No exhaust fumes because everyone starts their vehicle long before they should, no expensive food or drink & no searching for a seat.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2022, 09:35:11 »
We got back from France a week ago, got to say the Dover -Calais ferry experience was the best we've ever had, 10 minutes from arriving at the port to sitting on the quayside and getting an early boat. Must admit after the horrors of the M54/M6/M1/M25/M2 I quite like the 2 hour break before hitting the roads of France.....although tbf the drive to Dover and back was also pretty painless this time.

Offline falkland bomber

• Bike: Kawasaki Versy's 1000 Grand Tourer
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 10:29:35 »
Well here is a thing don't understand the rush to go abroad when like I did in June went to Scotland 2 ferries one to Dunoon arrived straight on £18 for 2 bikes 30 minute crossing no fuss then to Mallaig for the ferry to Skye about £20 or so 45 minute crossing they strapped the bike down then off the other side no bolshie French to deal with best views and roads and they drive on the correct side of the road going abroad has no appeal look at the hassle just to get to the ports.

Scotland every time  :old:
Old Bald Soldier

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2022, 12:39:31 »
I love Scotland.....and Wales and even parts of England. Ireland is also great. But I also like the 'differences' travelling abroad. Met more bolshie Brits than I have French. Of course the main appeal is Britain is just so crowded, you have to know where to go or look really hard to find quiet bits. France is huge compared to here and only a similar population, even their pretty bits like the Vosges, Pyrenees, Alps, Auvergne etc are empty compared to the British Isles....even Scotland.