Author Topic: Suspension linkage overhaul on main stand?  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Suspension linkage overhaul on main stand?
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2022, 16:18:50 »
Yep, my last resort will be grinding the heads off past those little galling fins in the locknuts and just using the better ones that came with the replacement.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2022, 16:32:29 »
When I took mine in to the garage that sorts my bike, last year, he had to cut the heads off the bolts & also had to cut part of the linkage too, due to one of the bolts being seized in there!! Luckily I had bought a second hand one along with the new bearings.
He wasn't a happy man when I picked the bike up.   :icon_batterup:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2022, 17:39:31 »
If a bike lift would make the job easier, you're welcome to use mine on Saturday. I have a good arsenal of tools including a half inch drive impact gun, a four and a half inch grinder and lots of cutting discs.

Hammers as well, a good selection of hammers. :thumb:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2022, 18:33:31 »
Cheers, I bought an ABBA stand in the end for general use so I'm hoping I can get the access I need with my new rattle gun up at my Dad's barn of Brutality.
Turns out I have a more pressing concern (pun intended) of buggered headset bearings so that's job 1 now it seems.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2022, 18:40:21 »
   Well this is a coincidence,I stripped the linkage from my rear suspension last week,to drill and fit grease nipples, the long bolts were VERY tight, but I had removed them about 20 months ago when I got the bike and lubed the bearings,I was hoping to fit grease nipples to all three pins, but found only two were possible due to the small pivot bolt being not suitable as there was only one bearing without the space between the two bearings as in the longer ones.You have to have good strong tools and preferably six point impact sockets,as the nuts have shoulders on them,with not much meat on the hexagons.
   When I was reassembling,I found that using a large torque wrench with just the socket on it is much easier than a wobbly ended extension bar and large breaker bar.It gets behind the exhaust pipes rather than trying to go past them with the extension bar.
Ian Mc.

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2022, 18:47:13 »
"Luckily" the exhaust is coming off now anyway since it's burnt through the rear gasket I fitted 2 years ago, at least access to the rear linkage will be easier I guess.

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2022, 23:28:47 »
Mmm...look like a pre emptive maint job on the list for the weekend while the wheels are out for new tyres then.
Strangely, I just had the rear shock rebuilt on my Varadero, and all the bolts came undone easy, the Bearings and sleeves were all in great condition.. didn't look like it's been apart for a long time, if ever... 1999 and 25k miles..

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2022, 08:29:34 »
Sorry if you've already done this but heat may help. Try a blow torch and bring heat until it reddens
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2022, 08:40:17 »
Just incase folks don't know, PlusGas penetrating fluid is still available, I think you can get it from screwfix. It's way better than just using water dispersants. Be sure to use it the day before, THE job.
What grease are you using on the linkages? What do Suzuki recommend?
I'm thinking a Moly grease, not paste, would be a good option because of its residual lubing capabilities.
Thanks in advance.
And may I take this opportunity to thank you all for your assistance to date in providing good info. I recently needed some torque settings and this site came up trumps.
Upt'North.

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2022, 09:02:39 »
I use an Alumin(I)um Complex Grease called Royal Purple Ultra Performance Grease. I have read that Moly Grease is best avoided in scenarios where water ingress is possible as the Moly component can become corrosive in the presence of moisture. Aluminium Complex grease is super inert (used in food processing plants) and very resistant to being washed out or emulsifying. I always have it around as it's the only accepted lube for the crazy one legged Lefty suspension fork on my mountain bike where it lubes needle roller bearings exposed to the elements.
All that said, just good old regular Lithium Grease seems to be the done thing on most bearings.

Heat is definitely on the cards, I have a mint new linkage and all the sleeves so I'm free to risk butchering the old one now  :icon_batterup:

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2022, 11:05:42 »
This?
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2022, 11:14:52 »
Yes, but with a couple of hard biscuit hitting retirees ;)

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2022, 19:08:43 »
So.. as this seems to be a poss issue, while the wheels were out for new tyres and a hugger install.  I dropped the linkage off..
They were not exactly swimming in grease and the end of the dog bone nearest the wheel wasn't as healthy as the rest..
I couldn't pick up and more needles so cleaned them up as best I could and the bush and inside the outer race.. reinstalled with plenty of fresh grease.. will have to come back to that later.. may mean a new bearing and bush or even a new dog bone if the outer race won't come out.
My newly acquired bike is a 2014 with 15k on it..