Author Topic: Motorbike Travel Insurance  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Chrisjames

• Bike: DL650 V-Strom
Motorbike Travel Insurance
« on: July 13, 2022, 13:11:49 »
Hi all
Can anyone recommend any motorcycle touring travel insurance, we are taking our bikes over Europe in august and looking for specific touring insurance while we are away.

we have standard fully comp insurance in the UK of course which covers for insurance, but looking for touring travel insurance as recommended by some websites etc for touring.

this is our first tour in Europe on the bikes so not very experienced in this yet.

any advice is greatly appreciated

thank you

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Motorbike Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 14:31:00 »
Speak to your existing insurance company as they may offer cover at an additional premium.

Carole Nash has Europe cover for up to 90 days as standard.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 15:38:04 »
As above. Most vehicle insurance companies will cover you for travel abroad on your existing policy (or used to) but you will need to tell them.
If it's 'travel insurance' for personal cover then you will need to check the small print or ask the insurance company if you are covered for riding a motorcycle abroad, most do (or again, used to).
If it's breakdown cover then that's another insurance you will need to sort separately.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Sage

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 20:53:22 »
Carole Nash do a travel ins policy that incudes motorcyclists. A few more companies seem to have excluded riding motorcycles over 125cc this year.

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 09:01:06 »
If you mean to cover medical expenses etc, try M and S.
Their policies are comprehensive and not badly priced. But like already pointed out look at the small print.
Upt'North.

Offline scorpio

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 21:19:52 »
You could try Navigator Travel Insurance on 0161 973 6435 they seem very Professional. I have used hem a few times now but never had to use the policy yet so can't comment on how good it is.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 08:13:40 »
Will you be looking for separate breakdown cover?
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Angus

• Bike: DL650A L3
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 13:52:05 »
Have you checked if you are already covered. ? I was surprised to see I'm covered for Europe with my comprehensive insurance.

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 16:27:22 »
I insured by Storm with Bennett's - which included cover for Europe plus recovery, both in the UK and Europe. It was worth paying a little extra for and worth considering when it comes to renewing your insurance.
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline Chrisjames

• Bike: DL650 V-Strom
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 21:25:16 »
I insured by Storm with Bennett's - which included cover for Europe plus recovery, both in the UK and Europe. It was worth paying a little extra for and worth considering when it comes to renewing your insurance.

Yeah I’m with Bennett’s too and have the RAC EU cover so happy with that - just wanted a travel insurance for abroad but one that covers you to ride bigger bikes than a 125

Offline Beemer6

• Bike: DL1000, GL1800
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 16:17:09 »
I took out travel insurance with Carole Nash due to the 125cc limit for personal injury imposed by a lot of travel insurers. The Nash policy I had covered any bike, make sure it covers what you need. The cancellation limit was £5000 per person and it was a multi trip policy for one year.
We had to cancel our holiday (six weeks USA road trip) two days before the travel date due to a medical diagnosis.
We submitted a claim to the insurer (underwritten by Axa insurance) and I have to say they were very professional.
Within six weeks we were paid out to the maximum allowed on the policy.
It didn't cover the whole costs but we got a major chunk back. Obviously we had to provide the necessary medical evidence etc but having completed their due dilligence, they paid out to the policy limit with no other issues. So, I don't know about other insurers, but Carole Nash underwritten by Axa did the job for me.
Remember to read the policy limits before buying the insurance and align it with the cost of your own outlay. We didn't expect to have to cancel our trip but circumstances overtook us and then I was glad I had forked out for a decent insurance.
Hope this helps.
M.