Author Topic: Loud whining noise  (Read 935 times)

Offline wombal

• Quiet Man
  • Carpe diem
  • Bike: Tracer 9GT Stolen on 17/3/22. 2021 V-Strom 1050 XT
Loud whining noise
« on: September 16, 2022, 22:45:45 »
Hi all has anyone else have a whining noise from front area maybe front wheel it’s hard to pin point exactly where it’s coming from it’s on a 2021 XT Spoked wheels at first I thought it might be come off  spokes but I’m not so sure, bikes running A1 gear change smooth just this whining noise even when I pull clutch lever in it’s still there. Any suggestions much appreciated it’s still on warranty so will be getting it looked at thanks in advance  :thumb:
only bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the car window

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Loud whining noise
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 06:26:50 »
What tyres are fitted ? Most semi off road tyres will whine,  even 80/20 road bias .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline bob43

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 08:20:15 »
mine used to whine, but I leave her at home now,,. on the serious side different bike but my triumph tiger used to do it when I had semi off road tyres on when I changed them to road based the noise went

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 08:45:54 »
Both my bikes whine... the EBC disks apparently. As they only statted doing it after a change of discs and both of them now make the same whine.

I knobbly Tyres... or anything realy not 100% road tyre tends to make some sort of whine.

Ride Coordinator

Offline wombal

• Quiet Man
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 09:44:21 »
Hi tyres are Bridgestone battleaxe adventure, it’s just that I never seemed to notice it before hand

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 14:35:38 »
I ware hearing aids because I'm deaf to high pitch sounds, I can't even hear birds singing without them. I went out sometime ago and forgot to take the aids out before I left and I too heard a slight whining noise that I had never heard before. I think it's normal and nothing to worry about, I don't.

If it really bothers you I suggest you ware ear plugs. Sorry if that sounds sarcastic, I don't mean to be but even I with my deafness find long rides with ear plugs far more comfortable and they will help protect your ears. The moulded to your ear type are the best, I've tried lots of different types and they are more comfortable than the throw away type and quieter.  :thumb:

PS my deafness was not caused by riding but shooting etc with the army.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 16:07:24 »
Has this started very recently or do you mean you've noticed this with the 1050 but not on previous bikes?
Just wondering if it's the cam gear whine which you may not have had on previous machines.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 18:17:27 »
Have you heard your bike not make this noise? Have you fitted anything new to it?

I fitted a Givi sump guard not long after I got my bike, and started to notice a "clatter" at low speeds with the clutch lever out. Get off the bike, you can't hear it. Literally appears to be funnelled up through the fairings and out at the handlebars by the guard.

Offline Keith60

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, Honda TRX 500FA ATV
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 18:41:06 »
I was confused when I read this post…..loud whining noise……so I just assumed it was you were complaining about Fat Rat whining on again about spelling!!!  🤣🤣. But in truth it has to be tyres or brake discs, not likely to be much else I wouldn’t of thought!! 
Never too old to ride!

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 11:54:20 »
Do you carry a female pillion? I can hear a loud whining quite regularly!!  :whistle:
Tyres, maybe wheel bearings or as Rixington says if they have cam gears they can whine.
Once your happy it's nothing to worry about, I'm with the Doc, use earplugs.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 08:00:53 »
All modern stroms whine. If you put your ear really close you can hear them clearly saying " Ooooooow! why do I have to wear this silly beak?"
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline wombal

• Quiet Man
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 09:37:47 »
  :thumb:Thanks for all your help  :thumb: I checked the tyre pressures and was a little low on front not made much difference though, everything is running fine gear change smooth I give front bearing a look at and grease it maybe after that I’ll take the Doc’s advice get some good ear plugs cheers ATB