Author Topic: I ride a SV650, should I get a 1000cc Vstrom?  (Read 630 times)

Offline Pluto

• Bike: SV650
I ride a SV650, should I get a 1000cc Vstrom?
« on: June 06, 2022, 15:41:21 »
OK, mature rider. I passed my Mod1/2 a little over a month ago and immediately picked up a 2017 SV650.

It's a beaut for town riding but as soon as I'm on a open road it feels slow(?) and abit too tight on space. I'm 6ft2 and 240lb.

On the motorway I also find the bufferting and lack of ease to get upto and hold speed tiring.

I was thinking..... the Vstrom has more wind protection and more power. I've sat on one in the showroom (feet planted both sides on floor) but the Suzuki garage don't have a Vstrom for test rides. That puts me off buying new, why buy new for something I don't know how rides!

So used- anyone who was in the same position as me, how did you get on?

I want to ride it to Europe this Summer.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: I ride a SV650, should I get a 1000cc Vstrom?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 16:13:35 »
Hi Pluto

I've ridden the SV650 a bit and know friends with both SVs and a Gladius. I'm also 6'2" and around the 200lb mark.
I certainly wouldn't want to spend long days or tour on those bikes but mainly due to the physical size rather than the performance, solo riding I think the 650 lump is great and the V Strom version would certainly give you the space and protection from the elements you're looking for.
That being said I did opt for the 1000, almost exclusively for the sound and looks elements but also for the slightly easier servicing of the hybrid chain/gear cam system. It has plenty of grunt for me and provides a bit more leeway on revs and gear changes than a smaller capacity bike. It does like a drink though so you do pay for that glorious sound, no problem on a 'toy' but obviously hurts more the more miles you do.
Buffeting can still be a bit of an issue with the V Strom so a taller screen and possibly mirror extenders will be your friend whichever version you look at.
Happy hunting, they're cracking bikes in whichever guise, go with what suits your needs.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 16:22:23 »
Welcome to the forum.

An SV 650 is not slow. Any vehicle that can catapult it's occupant from  zero to 60 mph in less than 3.5 seconds is not slow.

A naked bike will never offer any wind protection, a VStrom 650 would offer more no doubt.

Before diving headlong into a 1000cc variant may I politely suggest some more training, a 650 will be able to put you in all sorts of trouble very quickly.

Please don't take my manner as being rude, but there is far more to riding a motorbike than passing a test.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 17:11:22 »
I think you'd enjoy the 1000, lots of torque and while it's not that fast top end the bit that counts ie 50mph to 100 mph its fast.  Also easy to work at and if you get a 2014 on model they're economical to run and have better brakes and suspension than the earlier model, though they are the better touring bike. The choice is yours.
I certainly like mine,  had it 8 years now and 40k miles, have tried other bikes, versys thou, tracer, tiger 900 but liked the old strom better, more torque and more relaxing to ride. I had a tiger800 before and it was just as fast but I got fed up with having to rev it all the time. I will change  mine sometime soon and for a lighter bike but that's just me, 60 now and old race injuries are catching up on me big time.

Offline Pluto

• Bike: SV650
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 17:15:09 »
Welcome to the forum.

An SV 650 is not slow. Any vehicle that can catapult it's occupant from  zero to 60 mph in less than 3.5 seconds is not slow.

A naked bike will never offer any wind protection, a VStrom 650 would offer more no doubt.

Before diving headlong into a 1000cc variant may I politely suggest some more training, a 650 will be able to put you in all sorts of trouble very quickly.

Please don't take my manner as being rude, but there is far more to riding a motorbike than passing a test.

I rode a friends KTM Super Adventure 1290 Touring last week! Whilst I liked that I didn't like the noisy chain/rear and sheer bulk.

It's all learning. I have had some advanced training in cars and I've already had a bike course follow up after my mod2.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 18:12:58 »
"sheer bulk"" the Strom weighs about the same as the 1290 but with 60-odd horses less.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 18:58:24 »
I think some test rides are in order, even if you do have to ride to dealers with test ride machines. There's nothing like riding them.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 19:45:20 »
The SV is a naked bike, I think what you are experiencing is wind blast, not buffeting. The big, almost vertical, screens on adventure style bikes can, not always, (it varies from rider to rider), cause buffeting which is completely different.
I suggest you find a dealer where you can get a decent test ride on a V-Strom and see what you think. We are all different and what is good for me may not be good for you. I'm more than happy touring two up on a 'slow' 650.
If you want to ride in Europe don't be too fussed about speed, some/most countries are worse than we are for speed limits & at greater cost if you break them!   

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.