Author Topic: Bus Pass  (Read 1079 times)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Bus Pass
« on: May 16, 2022, 13:17:05 »
I took my car to the garage today for a timing belt and full service. I dropped it off and caught a bus home. The bus took the same route I have taken many times on my motorbike and a few times in the car but I could see the beautiful countryside from the bus.

I had to sit near the driver because he told me he would give me a shout when we were as close as he gets to where I live and drop me between stops but, when I get my pass I will be travelling by bus often and sitting upstairs. That's something for me to look forward to  when I get the pass and officially considered OLD.  :old:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Bus Pass
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 13:23:44 »
They'll have stopped doing it by then.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 13:46:38 »
The bus pass is a wonderful thing.  :) It can be used across the country (not Wales or Scotland, I believe) to travel free on any local bus service.  :thumb:
My mates & myself use them regularly to travel around testing the beers in different public houses in other towns & villages.  :obscene-drinkingchug:

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 14:21:54 »
We don't any bus service round here anyway  :smirk:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 18:12:03 »
I still have my entitlement to drive one, miserable twats always call the Police.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 21:26:21 »
There is the all Wales bus pass for OAP's, but the English doesn't transfer over   :shrug:

I haven't caught a bus in something like 6 years, don't intend to any time soon.
They're full of the work shy and OAP's  lol

I did catch the train last week after Jen decided she was ill at a gig in Cardiff and I had to pick her up and go back for her car the next day. Great Western trains (225) have got a bit fancy since I was on one last.
Luckily I didn't catch one of the Transport For Wales trains - the same rolling stock that Arriva neglected for the last 2 decades, just with a new coat of white paint on the outside and less cleaning done on the inside.  :-x

Very nice of the Welsh Senedd to sell off the franchise to someone who'll promise to be better than Arriva and carry on in Arriva style by failing to run a third of services on day one!  lol

Ride Coordinator

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 09:54:54 »
"I haven't caught a bus in something like 6 years, don't intend to any time soon.
They're full of the work shy and OAP's"

Got to be honest & say you could count on one hand the number of times I'd been on a bus in 40 years before I got my pass!! But now I've got/earnt it, it's getting used.  :grin:

As for "full", not here, they're not. Maybe the ones around start & finish work times get busy but I can't use the pass before 09.30 & at sensible times of the day .... after 10.00 & before 16.00 they're the best part of empty!  :thumb:
(except for 6/7 drunken OAP's on occasions.)   :obscene-drinkingchug:
Mick

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 10:04:10 »
My mother lives 55 miles away. Using public transport the best time I can do the journey is 7 hours.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 10:30:39 »
I get my bus pass in a few weeks, it will be completely useless. I don't live on a major bus route and the circular route minibus (25 seater) is once every hour from 08:00 until 16:00. I have to catch this bus to get to a major bus route.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 10:47:30 »
It's all a cunning plan by the govt to get OAP votes. Free bus passes for oldies! (But then, especially in rural areas, feck all routes cos there's no level of subsidy worth making it worth any bus company while to take on those routes).

Fella I knew worked high up in the public transport world. He said Joe Public wanted better public transport, so other cars get off the roads and free them up for said Joe to drive round. Think that about nails it...

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 13:16:05 »
Tusker, my mates & myself often have to catch three different buses to get to our chosen pub some weeks!!  :whistle:
StromGeeza, would that be the government in power when the free bus pass was introduced?

Anyway, it also gets you discounts at various businesses & acts as a library card too!  :grin:
Mick

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 13:40:43 »
I get my bus pass in a few weeks, it will be completely useless.

Not too fast, they have been known to sort out a few wobbly tables over the years...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Savak

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 14:25:44 »
Here in Northern Ireland the 65+ pass covers all Ireland!

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 15:37:37 »
I've had my Welsh bus pass for 12 years now (60 in Wales). Used it about 6 times to pick up vehicles. Don't like public transport - never did but needs must occasionally. I live in the city so there are loads of buses. You could travel across Wales free but it would take forever! If you yearn a bus pass...don't cos you have to put up with being an old codger and it's never worth the price! However - ride bikes till you drop and you'll feel instantly 18 again  :auto-dirtbike: :old: :lala:

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 20:30:21 »
   I have had my bus pass also for 12 years but it is 65 in England when you are able to apply for one.Its a great idea, it takes me 5 minutes to walk to the bus stop,I go into town, have a few beers with my son and a few of his mates, catch the 10 pm bus back and it drops me outside my local pub so I can have another couple with a few neighbours and then a 5 minute walk back home. 
   No calling, waiting for taxis, air conditioned buses and I can use the pass to take me anywhere in England outside of rush hours.
Ian Mc.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 21:04:11 »
It's now pensionable age Ian. I was 65 & 3 months before I got mine (they were changing it slowly), Deb was 66 as she's a year & 6 months younger.
That's exactly what it's meant for Ian!  :obscene-drinkingchug: lol
Just a matter of checking the timetables then remembering what time the 'going home' bus is after a few beers.  :whistle:

Mick

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 10:27:53 »
I think they are great!

Can travel freely over most of the UK, go into town, have a meal, few drinks etc.

Saves me falling off the bike on the way home as well...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline colin

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 14:06:01 »
I have used mine on the park and ride to get to the hospital in Bath. as it is impossible to park there and expensive. plus we have had a few long weekends in Devon and Cornwall. And gone out in the day to other towns using the bus pass leaving the bike at the B&B. only problem is the wifes age 60 so no pension or bus pass till she is 67.