Author Topic: Motorcycle Turntables  (Read 918 times)

Offline Malfos

• Bike: Honda Forza 300
Motorcycle Turntables
« on: April 27, 2022, 19:41:19 »
I am struggling a bit these days, to back my bike out of the garage, then along a narrow bit of drive alongside my wife's car in the drive, then back into the cul de sac which is on a fair slope, then manoeuvre the bike, to face the right way to set off up the street. I have managed it for over 30yrs at this house, with numerous different bikes, but although I have not dropped it yet, it is now getting to be a bit of a faff.
I have looked at various motorcycle "dollies" but my garage and drive have rough surfaces and I think the wheels may be too small and get stuck. I am considering a motorcycle turntable
Has anyone got either  a " Spin-It Motorcycle turntable" made in Tamworth, or an "EasyTurn" motorcycle turntable? If so how have you found it to use, and is it any good? Thanks.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: Motorcycle Turntables
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 20:03:18 »
This was posted a few yeas back when somebody asked a similar question..............

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline stromvern654

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 22:16:34 »
I have similar problems moving my bike around in the shed, not to mention a narrow alley to reach the road.
I have a sheet of aluminium, around 60cm square, which I strategically place under the bike. With the bike on the centrestand, I can then swing the bike around whilst pushing down on the rear carrier. Alternately, I can set the bike on its sidestand, again on the sheet and edge the bike around. Either of these operations need care, but with practice, both methods can be useful. I perform the task of turning my bike around in a 10X12 foot shed, which has other items -a cabinet, tumble drier, racking, tool cabinet, inside.
My bike can be ridden in and out of the shed, with care.

Offline Malfos

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 23:00:24 »
I have now discounted the "Spin-It motorcycle turntable" as I believe it costs £999 +vat. I don't want one that much! Barbel Mick, the Lazy Susan looks very smooth, but I am looking for something already complete, not really to make myself ( a man has to know his limitations - as Dirty Harry once said). Thanks for the suggestion.

Stromvern654, your idea sounds a good one -60cm square - I think that is about 2ft square in old money. What is the thickness of aluminium sheeting you used?
I am also still interested if anyone has bought an "EasyTurn" (trade name) motorcycle turntable and if it is any good.

Offline stromvern654

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 23:21:17 »
Just measured it-only 2mm. A bit thicker would probably be better. I begged it from a neighbour(beggars can't be choosers). On closer examination,it may not be aluminium. It has a galvanised finish-could be steel.
One thing I know is that it gives a bit of a workout before and after a ride!

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 10:18:04 »
I have used a piece of 9mm thick polypropylene to turn bikes around in the past as the stand turns quite easy on it.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 10:34:05 »
Be mindful of twisting the centre stand though, some have fouled the swinging arm with too much torsion.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 14:47:55 »
 :text-goodpost: An excellent find Sir, bearings can be purchased separately and coupled with some creativity one would be hard pushed to build one for less.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Malfos

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 17:16:28 »
Northants Rider.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I already knew about that one, and asked about it on the forum. :thumb: Please see my original post ( and 2nd post), where I asked about the "EasyTurn Motorcycle Turntable".
I am interested in whether anyone has actually bought one, and if so, is it any good?

Offline Malfos

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 19:13:37 »
Using the suggestions by Stromvern and Deecat, and bits I had to hand, I did the following. Placed a big piece of flat cardboard, cut from a very large delivery box, on the ground, put 2 shiny magazines on top ( to make it easy to slide round on the cardboard), then positioned a suitable piece of wooden plank about 1" thick on top of the magazines and under the centre stand feet. I put the bike on the centre stand, on top of the plank, and pushing down on the back of the bike, lifted the front tyre off the ground( the back wheel already being off the ground supported by the centre stand) and was able to spin the bike around anticlockwise. Spinning it clockwise has a tendency to pull the bike forwards, off the centre stand. Anticlockwise pulls the bike back against the centre stand,which is more stable.
I may refine the above by getting a piece of polypropylene as suggested by Deecat. The polypropylene should make it easier to slide round on the cardboard without using the magazines.  It is now much easier, after turning my bike round, to ride my bike out now, forwards
into the road. Thanks gents for the suggestions which have now solved my problem.