Author Topic: Pros and cons of Suzuki integrated panniers  (Read 865 times)

Offline Wee hayser

• Bike: Bmw r1250 r - v storm xt
Pros and cons of Suzuki integrated panniers
« on: March 29, 2022, 15:10:45 »
Hello all thinking of getting the Suzuki integrated panniers on my new v strom👍 What is the pros and cons of these panniers apart from
Cost lol - any info greatly appreciated

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: Pros and cons of Suzuki integrated panniers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 15:42:38 »
Pro's:
Hardly wider than the handlebars.
Look "right" when on the bike.
Bike doesn't have bits of scaffolding showing when they're not on the bike.
Key for the ignition works the locks on them.
Seem to be waterproof

Con's:
Not the greatest in capacity, especially two up, can be helped if you have a nice big top box.
Side loading, so unless you use the straps the contents can fall out, especially the left-hand side.
Will only fit the 2017+ 650's and later 1 litre bikes.
Cost, but not so bad if you can get a nice set second-hand. I was lucky in this respect.

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 14:42:33 »
The Suzuki top box on the older V-Strom's crowded the pillion to the extent I had to help a mate put an adaptor plate on to move it back. Not sure about the new set up though - but worth checking if the missus is coming along too.
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 18:31:27 »
If I can add my ten-Bob’s worth…

What you choose is up to you, but you need to think about the ‘what it’s’ before you make a final decision. Security, getting them on and off, weather, are you doing long trips or small trips, how much stuff you can get in, how easy is it to access your stuff, is access even an issue or the rack they will use and stuff like that.

I’ve got Shad 42’s on mine. They look good, they’re secure, robust and they do the job - but although I have enough storage space I find them a bit annoying because I have to take them off and lay them flat before I open them. Also, because theyre ‘contoured’ (bit oval), they’re not very efficient when packing. It takes me a while to juggle things about before the case will close. I’ve got inners for them and it’s okay if I’m travelling minimal, but if I’ve got a lot of gear then it’s easier not to use the inners.

What you choose is completely down to personal preferences. As for me, I very nearly went for soft panniers as because besides looking cool - and having the advantage of being pretty bullet proof if the bike falls over - they are also much cheaper than hard cases.

But at the last minute I changed my mind from soft to hard my when I had a moment of sudden lucidity. Someone was selling hard cases so I went the sensible route and got these 42’s because I can lock them closed and also lock them onto the bike, which is really handy when travelling. I also bought them second hand as I couldn’t afford a grand for the ones I really wanted - some big aluminium cases. For me personally, I want the aluminium rectangular top openers for the simple reason that I would be able to pack them more efficiently.

But, I haven’t got any spare dosh to waste on them when I already have perfectly good luggage carriers and seeing that I got these at a good price they’ll do for me.
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline Wee hayser

• Bike: Bmw r1250 r - v storm xt
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 18:56:07 »
Many thanks for the replies , I had the OEM panniers on my BMW f800 gt so defenately agree about looking right and easy on off etc and familiar with the side loading and inventive packing lol . The BMW ones had a large shelf at the bottom and y straps to hold the contents in - do the OEM Suzuki ones had a similar shelf ?