Author Topic: PUIG Hugger - something I never thought about…  (Read 479 times)

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
PUIG Hugger - something I never thought about…
« on: March 30, 2022, 16:37:14 »
A while ago I fitted a PUIG rear hugger to my 2014 DL1000. It fitted really easy and looks terrific. At that stage my tyres were pretty worn and my chain was on the way to an early and unexpected retirement - so the axle was well back in the sliders.

So, moving forwards…. Yesterday I had new tyres fitted. I also fitted a new chain and sprockets the week before, and the mechanic said that because of the new tyre and new chain, and because the axle is now fully forward in the sliders - he struggled to get the wheel on because of the hugger. He had to put some spacer washers at the front and brake-side of the hugger to give it a few extra mm lift and to stop the wheel rubbing against the hugger.

So…… if you’re going to get a PUIG hugger, this is definitely worth thinking about - the distance between the tyre and the hugger if your tyre or chain is new. I’ve put Tourance tyres on so they’re a bit beefy. I don't know if road tyres are less beefy or some of the 80/20’s are more beefy, but it’s something I never thought about.

I’m going to fit a couple of more spacers and put on a couple of small brackets on the chain side to give lots of space between the tyre and the hugger as looking at it now, the gap between the tyre and the hugger is still pretty slim. Maybe a rizla paper or two, but I know if I do any green lanes, then the hugger is going to suffer from the small gravel that gets in the tread.
Never let your karma run over your dogma...