Author Topic: First Wee test ride: starting issues  (Read 1221 times)

Offline raing

• Bike: DL650 K5
First Wee test ride: starting issues
« on: November 14, 2021, 18:14:54 »
So I went to see my first Wee today: K6, 31k miles, 4 previous owners.

Seller seemed honest and an alright bloke, bike was in good overall condition.
But when I asked to start the bike, nothing. I've never seen anyone so embarrassed in my life haha

We spent an hour of fiddling with the battery charger, jump start cables and even trying to bump start it.... Nothing. Battery supposedly new, all lights, switches and fuel pump working.
He then noticed the sensor from the clutch lever had come off while cleaning. After plugging back in, it start easily with the clutch pulled in neutral.
He said it's always been like that.

So my first QUESTION: Is it normal that a Wee only starts with the clutch pulled in? What could be the issue?

Follow up QUESTION: Should I pull the plug on this deal? Details below
Price: £2175 30'000mi 2006
Condition: Fairly good. Bracket that holds the exhaust tip to the conecting pipes is rusted through, unsure if the pipes are rusted as well, but there's the tiniest amount of wind pressure at the junction when you block the exhaust. Badly rusted around the filler cap. Bent and scrapped handlebar tips with half broken left hand guard (owner not aware of any crashes). Fasteners actually not that rusted. No fairing scratches or obvious distortions.

Extras: scottoiler (not mounted, not verified if functional) top box, center stand, fendaextender+rear hugger, Oxford heated grips, touring screen, phone mount. New tyres, new battery, newish chain and sprockets. Extra oil, filters, plugs included. Haynes service manual. Trickle charger

Service: owned for 8 months, no maintenance done, garaged on trickle charger
Previous owner gave him the extras and service manual for next service which he never got round to do. Owners manual lost, no evidence of service history.
Previous owner said all services up to date, including valve checks.
Oil was blackish on the sighting window, maybe more brownish when I dipped. Brake fluid and coolant looked alright. Front brake was dragging somewhat, only a half turn when I spun the wheel.
There was a lot of condensation and white smoke when it first started, but it cleared after about 30min

Test drive: uneventful, almost locked the back wheel when emergency braking (not used to riding without ABS)
After the engine being well warmed up, had a listen to the motor. There was ticking from the top of the rear piston (clutched didn't change the sound). Probably a loose valve.

What do you blokes think?

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: First Wee test ride: starting issues
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 18:32:12 »
A) yes, clutch-in  starting is normal.
B) I think you've already talked yourself out of buying this one.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 18:33:35 »
I really like the first generation V-Strom but there is no escaping the fact that the second generation (Glee) is a little more refined. When you look at the prices of a 2012> Glee vs the first generation (Wee), it's sometimes difficult not to look at the newer model for value for money.

Of course it all goes tits up after the Glee so you can stop looking after 2016  :smirk:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline raing

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 19:06:36 »
I've only seen the earlier model around here so far.

For some reason all my "blokes" turned into "blokes" (autocorrect maybe) and I can't find the edit button. Sorry for that.

So only starting with the clutche pulled in is normal?

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 19:14:51 »
Yes you must pull the clutch lever in to start the bike
And there is an anti-Americanism filter on here.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 19:25:15 »
It's just an Americanism filter, any 'anti' is a matter for individuals  :smirk:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 06:40:59 »
Have a look at the downloads section on this site, for help with more reading material on the various models. Something else to give you a better understanding of the DL650 models, have look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_V-Strom_650, to see the improvements / changes over the years.
As per my reply to your post under the intro section, my 1st gen Wee still gives me a grin factor, when out riding.

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 11:51:38 »
You Got to pull in the clutch - but not on the new ones. I'm getting to love just having to punch the start button once and let the robot take over. I don't miss the anxiety of waiting for the engine to catch and thinking if I have to clean out the handlebar switch  :roll:
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey