Author Topic: Starter/lighting switch disassembly pics + assembly (and not working lows).  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Martinest

• Bike: 'DL1000 K2
Hello!

I bought the 2002 DL1000 a few weeks ago and it doesn't have working headlights. I have a lightning switch in starter/kill switch housing. Moving it only lights up parking lights (if the term is correct). Hello-beam switch on left handlebar works. If I connected a jumper wire to the low beam fuse stands the lows come on.
Regarding US forums there can be melted or corroded connectors under the left side fearing, behind the radiator (white connector) or a melted connectors inside the starter switch.
In my understanding jump wiring the lo fuse stands and lighting up headlights would eliminate the left side connectors.
Connectors behind radiator where a little corroded but not melted. Cleaned those and reconnected but nothing.
So yesterday I disassembled the starter switch.
Took photos of it:

Cleaned all the connectors, assembled the switches and started to put it back together.

Inserted starter button:

Secured kill switch wires and inserted starter switch connector plate:

Starter button spring:

Starter button bracket:

Lightning switch:

Lightning switch leaver:

Added the wire secure bracket and closed the case. What I was left was the small metal plate with a hole in it. When I disassembled it I didn't see it anywhere to jump out. It was stuck in the dirt on the upper housing wall, next to the killswitch. The switch has been removed before.

Can anyone confirm where does it belong to?

I looked again into the wiring diagram and it seems that with this lightning switch (mounted into the starter/kill switch housing) config there can be only 3 possible falts why lows are not working:

1. Wire between fuse box and dimmer switch is faulty
2. Connection behind the radiator white connector is still not sufficient (after cleaning)
3. The dimmer switch itself is faulty.

Any ideas or confirmation of my doubts? Suggestions where else to look?

Regards
Martin (new to Vee's)

Offline Martinest

• Bike: 'DL1000 K2

Can anyone confirm where does it belong to?

Well, ain't I a clever boy?  :angry-banghead:

Offline greywolf

Check for power along the route of the wiring to find where the loss occurs.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Patrol

• Bike: DL650 L4
Does anyone know if the internal switch could be purchased seperately from the unit and where can we get one