Author Topic: 2109 V-Strom DL650 rear shock  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
2109 V-Strom DL650 rear shock
« on: November 01, 2021, 18:48:31 »
Hello all.
Just cleaned my machine (only had it a few weeks but ran over a small puddle...) :icon_no:

Thought I'd adjust the pre-load and rebound on the unit as I was unsure what the previous owner had set them to. :shock:
Rebound adjust OK, but pre-load didn't seem to work! It appears that the adjustment is compressed as much as it can be, with no 'setting grooves' showing, and the wind up/down knob doesn't change anything.  :roll:
Anyone else come across this type of issue? Should I take the unit off the bike and see if I can free it off? Are they repairable?  :GRR:
Thanks in advance...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Re: 2109 V-Strom DL650 rear shock
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 19:21:24 »
If you think you need to repair the preload adjuster there is a link in this post to a Stromtrooper post where someone describes the process. 

https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=29870.msg295806#msg295806
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 20:04:50 »
Another post that might be worth a read............

https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=36806.msg372121#msg372121
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 21:47:45 »
   When I got my new to me Glee last year, the rear preload adjuster was screwed in solid.I had to remove the centre screw and remove the adjuster knob, and use a spanner on the hexagon behind the plastic adjustment knob to slacken off the adjuster itself fully.Whatever I did the shocker would not move.I slackened off the main housing and then removed the two small bolts holding the unit to the frame before unscrewing the main housing all of the way out so I could hold the unit up on case it spilt the oil out.It was nearly bone dry.I put engine oil in it up to the level and then reassembled and tried it.I fully expected it to leak somewhere, but it hasn’t lost a drop,I am wondering if there was any oil in it from new, unless the person that had it before me was very short and let the oil out to try to drop the rear end more than it was.Almost a year and about 5,000 mls. and no leaks and the rear suspension is better than my Wee was.
   The only renewable item inside is an O-ring around the piston.
Ian Mc.

Offline dav

• Bike: DL650A M1
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 10:33:40 »
I have just had a new shock fitted to my 8 week old 650, under warranty as
there was No preload adjustment whatsoever, from fully out to fully in there
was no resistance and no movement of the shock collar, Suzuki say they have
never come across it before, I said to the dealer, I have filled 3 preload adjusters
up with Fork oil on my last 3 Honda's, so assume some are missed at the factory,
or I suspect the gas charge dissipates.