Author Topic: Panel Removal and Alignment  (Read 657 times)

Offline CharlieDeLaMoto

• Bike: DL650A (2012)
Panel Removal and Alignment
« on: July 12, 2021, 20:03:50 »
I'm having a bit of a time with the right-hand panel on my 650 (AL2).  Earlier this year, we fitted heated-grips and a USB socket - running the wires under the tank and tucking them up in place with a few cable-ties.  Removing the large white panel made life much easier.

However... getting the thing to "seat" correctly has been a right faff. It's just not quite "in", and occasionally pops out showing one of the clip moldings.  I've had the whole thing off, the little velcro pads are in place and the panel just doesn't seem quite in place.  I've read elsewhere that the trick to learning how this plastic parts go together is when you break them trying to get them off!  Is there a knack to this as I've had the thing off 3 times.  Sitting on the bike, it's quite noticable and there's few mm difference which my attached picture may show.

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
Re: Panel Removal and Alignment
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 20:43:18 »
Charlie, can you take another pic or two as those are difficult to see. Pan out a bit.
A dealer had my panels off doing a recall & by the time I got home they had popped out.
I had to remove them & refit them, a pain in the rump. But I managed to do it. Without breaking them.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 20:54:51 »
If it's the one I think, there are small white plastic L shaped hooks facing forward at the top edge of the tank side panel. They need to locate in the slots in the black section. Whilst lining the big flat  tab up in its retaining 'socket'. And getting the velcro lined up. All at the same time.

Offline CharlieDeLaMoto

• Bike: DL650A (2012)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 09:22:09 »
Thanks for the replies - I'm not sure it's worth another picture, it was just to show up-close the difference although it's really only about 2-3mm.  However, it isn't "right" as I explained above. It's probably a silly positioning thing that's really hard to explain but quite easy once you've seen/done it once!

I'd noticed the slots and how they don't line up with what's on the opposite panel, but they obviously seat in place somehow - I noticed the thin edge that you slide it into. I wasn't sure if I had to put it in at an angle and then push it in to place or loosen/remove the top (black) fuel-tank portion...  I'll take it off *again* later and have another go.  Meh.