Author Topic: Licence Plate Bulb Change - Help!  (Read 731 times)

Offline AJ

• Bike: DL1000A L4
Licence Plate Bulb Change - Help!
« on: June 30, 2021, 07:50:41 »
Hello blokes,

I recently noticed that my licence plate bulb was out, so I went to change it. I noticed there are two bolts under the rear mudguard to remove the unit that holds the bulb. However, when I try to loosen it, the whole screw just rotates within the plastic mould. So as far as I can tell, nothing is broken, but I cannot get the unit out; I have tried WD40 etc., on the bolts also.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get this off? Currently, it is not tightening or loosening so doesn't really help. Also tried looking for a replacement unit but don't think you can get them.

Vstrom" border="0

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Licence Plate Bulb Change - Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 10:35:26 »
I had this issue, and it's because the bolt is screwed into a plastic lug inside the light unit. This lug breaks and the bolt just spins. I spent ages trying to grip the bolt with pliers/mole grips whilst loosening the bolt. Eventually I managed to grip the thread from outside the light unit through the rubber seal and I'm screwed it. I then repaired the lug as a temporary measure and bought a replacement unit off eBay (common part across a few bikes) although the temporary fix has half so I'll swap it at the next bulb change.
What I did do when I refit the nut, was cover the threads with ACF50 corrosion block so am hopeful this'll come off easier.

Good luck with it, as it was a pain to remove. (If I was doing the above again, I'd be tempted to just buy a replacement and break the lense on the one stuck there - that's how much of a pain it was!)

Offline AJ

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 10:53:47 »
Quote removed

Thanks for the tip, do you mind pointing me in the direction of this part, please? I have not been able to find it online.

Also, how did you grip the lug? from behind the plastic cover? as the bolt and metal piece extends all the way to rubber seal around the unit right?

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 12:10:19 »
I think it's this part number 35910-41G31 - it's a common part across Suzukis e.g. the GSXR100/600 - Fowlers will show you all the compatible bikes then you can get a second hand one from eBay.

I used pliers on the bolt under the mudguard, to slacker the nut then could get pliers between the rubber seal and the back of the mudguard to grip the bolt and turn the nut. If I remember correctly, the added complication is the bolt has a sleeve over it behind the mudguard...

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 13:04:16 »
They are a right royal pain in the arse. Crud- catching position for the nuts, knurled studs set into the plastic housing, wobbly rubber bushes to prevent effective tightening. A genuine design failure.