Author Topic: Suzuki v-strom 1000, year 2003 - ULEZ compliant?  (Read 633 times)

Offline deeseert

• Bike: DL1000 K3
Suzuki v-strom 1000, year 2003 - ULEZ compliant?
« on: April 08, 2021, 11:32:58 »
Hello folks,

This is my first topic...

I need to find out if the V-Strom K3 - year 2003 - is ULEZ or Euro 3 compliant.

I've looked everywhere on the web and only found info about the 2005 on this forum. I've checked the ULEZ website checker and it says I need to pay if I enter central London. Problem is...I live in central London...

I know many people have sent the certification to Tfl and got exempted. So I checked the V5 but didn't find anything. I've emailed Suzuki and they told me they can't tell but would provide a certification for like £100.

Before spending £100 for a certification that doesn't guarantee the 2003 model is compliant - or a private test for the emission - I really would love to work out the probabilities.

So I was wondering if anyone here knows whether the 2003 is compliant or not.

Thanks in advance for your help blokes!

Gio

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Suzuki v-strom 1000, year 2003 - ULEZ compliant?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:59:26 »
You need to take it to Riverbank motorcycles in Bow , E3 2TB .
Its the nationalemissionstestcentre.com , all one word .

They'll test your bike and exempt it there and then , if it fails the test they'll get it through ...

Its around £170 but if work is needed it'll cost more .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline deeseert

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 12:41:53 »
Thanks for your reply.

I haven't bought the bike as yet. So I'm just trying to workout whether it's worth it or not and what the chances to get the test passing are.

The second hand bike deal would be £1900 - which I might try to negotiate a bit to squeeze in the test costs of £170. However, if it costs £500 or more to bring the bike to Euro 3, I'm not sure if it's still worth it or better looking for a newer bike.

Budget is tight but really don't want to give up.

P.S. What do you mean with "they'll get it through ..." ?

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 13:41:29 »
Hardly worth the hassle is it? and I'm not sure if I'd fancy riding a vstrom 1000 through traffic in the middle of London anyway, something lighter might suit the job better.

Offline deeseert

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 13:53:41 »
I would use the bike mainly for going on adventure trips within the UK and abroad. But because I live in central London, I need to access the city.

Wha bike would you use for going on trips and maybe going a bit around the city, short trips, occasionally?

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 18:10:56 »
What I mean by "they'll get it through" is ...

Not all bikes pass on the test first attempt so they'll make adjustments/modifications so it passes.

Call them and ask for advice on your particular model and they may have info.

This is what I did before I bought my 2000 Honda CB500 , I called them and asked if I would have trouble passing the ULEZ test and they told me I won't as they have passed plenty in the past.

I've yet to take the test as it's not needed until October , I plan to make an appointment in the summer .

I've got a few customers with 80s era bikes that have passed the test so Personally I think you'll be OK with a few tweaks.

Oh .. for your info, they are the only company in London that are endorsed by TFL to test motorcycles and will exempt your bike there and then if it passes. 

Good luck....  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂