Author Topic: Rust on Chain  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Angus

• Bike: DL650A L3
Rust on Chain
« on: February 26, 2021, 12:57:39 »
Just noticed this after not using the bike for a few weeks. Its parked inside but seems to have developed some rust on the chain and brake disks.
How much of  a problem is this and what is the remedy?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: Rust on Chain
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 13:09:56 »
From a purely technical perspective, surface rust on the outside of the chain links will do nothing untoward, and neither will rust on that area of disk. Cosmetically, they look scruffy, but aren't the end of the world.
The inside face of the chain looks pretty dry so maybe you need to look at how you are protecting it, but the important parts are those that move against each other and the sprocket, not so much the outside faces.

Remember that Suzuki and salt don't get on very well and there's other parts that are prone to corrosion that aren't meant to be changed so it's important to make sure you properly wash it if you want to keep the rust at bay.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline clutchspring

• Bike: DL1000XT M0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 16:51:41 »
Looking at the condition of how dirty the bike looks & if you didn't give it a clean & lube the chain be for putting it away what do you expect.
As others have said chain needs a good lube & the rust on the disc is no big problem.
If you want a nice shiny rust free bike it's best to give it a thorough was & polish & lube before leaving it stood for any length of time.
Good look,
Ian.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 01:39:35 »
I ride through the winter salt and wet. My chain gets rusty quickly. Every couple of weeks I brush either side with WD40 until it shines, rub with an old t shirt and then lube top, bottom and sides. You may need to do this every ride in bad weather. My garage is dry but condensation forms easily in the cold especially when opening the door. As said above, it's no big deal as long as you keep on top of it. If you don't ride in the winter for long periods, try brushing on thick engine, gear or chain saw oil before storage and wipe/relube before riding in spring. Clean discs with brake cleaner and non contact area where your rust is, carefully with WD40 on a toothbrush and wipe dry. The discs will clear with use but pads might stick when trying to push after storage or bad weather.

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 08:57:21 »
I also ride when possible during winter. My chain on the old 650 was rusty like yours, and actually, I start to see rust on my new 1050's chain already now after only one winter.

I must say, that I am not good at lubing the sides on the chain. I concentrate on primary lubing the o-rings.

Maybe soon I will try the trick with WD40 for cosmetic reason.

Regards, Lars.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 09:30:55 »
The other option on the chain is when it is due for replacement use one that is plated. DID sell gold coloured plated chain, which I'm sure is all very bling but the practical side is it won't turn brown instead.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 22:57:19 »
I must admit I judge a biker by his/her chain. The bike can be filthy, scratched and old but if the business end is looked after, the owner knows what matters. It's probably had regular oil changes too. Only one thing worse than a neglected chain....unwatered plants outside a supermarket, wilting and sad  :angry-tappingfoot: