Author Topic: What would you replace a 'Strom with ???  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Scudnut

Re: What would you replace a 'Strom with ???
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 11:58:30 »
For the price and value for money of a Strom I'm sure there is very little out there that comes close.

If you've read this whole thread you'll already know that though.
Irish Blood English Heart.

Offline Backdraft

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 14:36:54 »
Stu - yes I does !  An auto - for christs sake - I will send you some new slippers and a pipe to go with them - postage is on me  :neen:  :grin:
life is for living

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 15:15:31 »
Fair Cop guv  :shy:  but my leg is getting more  :limp:  every time I go East it gets a little worse. The review of the auto box is a revelation though - I'll get me pipe!!

Stu

Offline Heebeegeebee

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 22:45:15 »
Quote from: "Jasper"
I don't know where people get this idea that Suzuki's rust before your eyes. Most of my bikes have been Suzi's over 34 years, and while Honda may have a better and longer lasting finish and you'd expect it for the premium you pay, Suzuki's are no different from Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Triumph.
Any bike will rust. even a Honda, if you don't look after it. My old Bandit 1200 still looked like new after 4 years and 17,000 miles when I traded it in.
Try cleaning em more often and use ACF50 and WD40.

OK so I don't look after it properly (according to the cleaning police) but...I don't want to spend every minute in the garage drooling over it and wasting time cleaning and polishing. I want to RIDE IT! EVERYWHERE...ALL OF THE TIME! If I want to clean something then I will go ask her indoors what she wants me to clean.

The point I am getting at is MY BIKE is 2 years old and has corrosion in many parts where in my opinion (not only me) there shouldn't be any.

Can someone tell me if I am being lazy or is it really a bad product with regards to the finish? If not then I will eat my socks and kiss the dogs arse before bed (again?)

Yes I've been drinking and yes I'm an arse of the highest callibre so go tell Your daughters and someone clean my feckin bike PLEASE!... :GRR:
Opera, just what the world needs, more fat women screaming

Anonymous

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 00:42:47 »
If you want a vehicle that you can get away with not cleaning then buy a car.
With bikes you have to be constantly doing stuff to em. The engine and a lot of the mechanics are open to the elements so you have to be cleaning them, oiling, greasing and adjusting stuff.
Its part of bike ownership, you either do it or your bike turns into an unreliable rusting heap of shit.

Simples.

Offline Dracula

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 11:44:00 »
The new multistrada looks favourite to me, except for the price!
"There are no ugly women..... Just not enough Vodka!"

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 17:08:47 »
Quote from: "StreetHippo"
Fair Cop guv  :shy:  but my leg is getting more  :limp:  every time I go East it gets a little worse. The review of the auto box is a revelation though - I'll get me pipe!!

Stu

I had a sit on one yesterday, not very comfy (for me), the seat was too narrow, the riding position seemed cramped, not as spacious as even my old VFR 800, certainly less legroom. They do look good however, particularly in metallic red.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline edd3647

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 18:12:01 »
Will be interesting to see if Triumph power up their Tiger 1050 a bit now that it is getting left behind in the power stakes. It is a cracking motor and goes like hell but it is dropping behind now. Would also help if they sorted the lights out too. Good looking bike and its British so would love to own one.
Cagiva SuperCity > ZX6RJ1 & F650GS > DL1000 K2 > R1200GS (SHITE!) > DL1000 K7 & CB400F & DRZ400 SM > DL1000 K7 & 1975 CB400F & MSX 125 GROM & 1962 Li 125 & TDM 900

Offline SgtSmash

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 18:28:13 »
If or when I change my Strom, I hope it will be for the replacement Strom that Suzuki are currently beavering away at!

I wonder why Suzuki haven't built a strom with the Bandit 1250 engine in it?
"Reading isn't an occupation we encourage amongst Police Officers. We try to keep paperwork down to a minimum" -Orten.

"Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket." - Anon .

Anonymous

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 19:03:15 »
An inline four in a dual sport bike !!!
Yeah that'll work  lol

Offline SgtSmash

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 20:13:44 »
Sorry, did I miss something?

The Tiger has a triple fitted to it and given the Euro I've emission regs and the Euro V regs I can't see big V-twins lasting much longer on current technology.

It's called thinking outside the box, instead of being stuck in the mindframe of "we've always done it that way so it's the only way to do it....."

Lets face it, the Strom is not built to go off road and its not built to go faster than 100 but it can do a bit of greenlaning and it keeps up with power rangers on their sports bikes...... I don't see the issue of putting an in-line four in the Strom.
"Reading isn't an occupation we encourage amongst Police Officers. We try to keep paperwork down to a minimum" -Orten.

"Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket." - Anon .

Offline jilljoy

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 21:36:27 »
I reckon that Suzuki will bring a v 4 out to replace the twin strom within six months like Honda are doing with the varadero

Offline 2112

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2010, 08:08:55 »
Quote from: "jilljoy"
I reckon that Suzuki will bring a v 4 out to replace the twin strom within six months like Honda are doing with the varadero
How about a B-King motor in an off road style chassis, that would get my vote !

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2010, 08:48:19 »
The idea of using the V twin was always to get lots of torque without the need for high revs, the way to achieve that was always big cylinders. However, I think that with the right firing order you could get a similar result from a four cylinder engine. ie cylinders firing in pairs or, more likely, almost in pairs.

Offline 2112

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2010, 09:25:36 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
The idea of using the V twin was always to get lots of torque without the need for high revs, the way to achieve that was always big cylinders. However, I think that with the right firing order you could get a similar result from a four cylinder engine. ie cylinders firing in pairs or, more likely, almost in pairs.

A longer stroke is the key, notice how short the stroke is on sports 600's ? A long stroke 4 cylinder bike could easily make 120hp but have a lovelly flat torque curve, and not need it's neck wringing to get moving.