Author Topic: Starting issues and starter motor location  (Read 3549 times)

Offline snagzie

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Starting issues and starter motor location
« on: December 09, 2020, 13:53:36 »
Hello, long time lurker here :) Wondering if you got help please?

2017 DL1000: have issues with starting.

Symptom is intermittent starting and has happened only in last few weeks. When starting, dash is fully lit, headlight is on and the fuel pump primes & the starter relay always clicks, but only sometimes actually engages the starter motor. I have replaced the battery already as I initially thought it was that. Got a brand new 230 CCA one so should be more than powerful enough.

I'm assuming that there is a bad connection between the relay and the starter motor?

If so, what's the best way to check this - and where the hell is the starter motor?

Edit: Sounds a bit like this as it does sometimes start when the clutch is pulled in. Dead weird!
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=36978.msg373518#msg373518

Many thanks in advance.

Snagzie

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Starting issues and starter motor location
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 07:12:28 »
The starter is normally located in the front of the engine, in the area below the radiator. Do you have an alarm or immobilizer installed on your ride, that could be causing your problem? I have read of some of the earlier models having starter switch problems, ranging from burnt contacts to weak spring, etc. Also read of a few 2nd gen V-Stroms having reported burnt starter switch wiring inside the starter switch cluster assembly. A thought, when the starter motor fails to turn, have you considered trying to bridge out the two big terminals on the starter relay? This will help prove if it is the actual starter motor or other causes. Use a spanner or something heavy like that, as you will get a few sparks due to the amount of current draw. It will be similar to applying the battery supply directly to the starter motor. Take care when you do this to make sure that nothing touches the frame or other parts. If done wrong, you could damage the electronics on your bike.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:55:39 »
Starter motor earth lead problem?

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 12:08:01 »
The battery earth lead was a problem on the 2014 models but should have been fixed on the 17's at the factory but you never know.  Easy to check, run a jump lead from the negative terminal on the battery to somewhere on the frame, if it starts right up you have an earth problem.
Ps this happened to my 14 twice but not from the recall was done.

Offline snagzie

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 08:46:35 »
Thanks for all the replies! Will check the earth connection today and let you know

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 13:04:34 »
If you have any warranty left on the bike consider taking it to your dealer to be checked, I used to own the same 17/18 model and the starter motor didn't last a year before it failed luckily it was replaced under warranty.

Like you I assumed the battery died at first as I found myself stuck in a carpark but it eventually started after I mashed the button about 20 times.

I'm guessing it was a widespread issue with that year because my dealer decided to remove one from a new bike they had in stock so I didn't have to wait months for Suzuki to issue the replacement.

Offline haggetty

• Bike: DL1000 L9
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 22:35:16 »
This happens on my 2019 model as well. Most of the time it starts fine but occasionally it fails. Like the OPs bike All the right things happen when the ignition key is turned on but it just clicks when the button is pushed. Every time when this happens if I pull the clutch lever, it always starts! And no, it’s not because the bike is in gear! Intermittent problems like this are a pain.

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 10:02:26 »
Sounds to me like your starter motor may be on the way out. When my van showed these symptoms - intermittently failing to start, just 'clicking' sometimes - I had the starter motor connections cleaned & checked. They were fine, so fitted a new starter motor. Problem sorted.

As to pulling in the clutch....yes, it should make it a bit easier to start with a weak battery or a failing starter motor as it reduces the draw on the starter motor - by completely disengaging the gearbox. Pinnions still spin even when in neutral,  though I would have thought the effect was negligible on a 650cc engine! More likely to make a difference in cold weather when gearbox oil is a bit 'sticky' and battery might be struggling.

Offline haggetty

• Bike: DL1000 L9
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 11:20:16 »
Reply and thoughts appreciated.

I understand that pulling the clutch disconnects the gearbox and gives the starter an easier time but I suspect it is an electrical problem involving the neutral indicator switch, clutch switch and starter button communication.
The battery is strong and when the the starter motor spins it doesn’t struggle at all.
When the bike fails to start and I pull in the clutch, it starts as normal. Then I can switch it straight off and next time it will start without  the clutch.
As I say, 95 percent of the time it behaves normally. Just rode it last weekend after a 3 month layup. Started first go, no clutch, no problem.
I know that older versions of The ‘strom required the clutch to be pulled in order to start but my generation does not. Provided the gearbox is in neutral, the bike will start without pulling the clutch.
Summat s wrong somewhere and I just don’t know what.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 19:29:30 »
I'm in agreement with tigerjohn ..

It's possible the brushes in the starter motor might have an issue.
My advice, next time the problem happens, tap the starter motor with a light hammer, if turns over and starts the bike then it's the brushes.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 21:49:31 »
Mr snagzie (the OP) hasn't been on here since he last posted - hope he got sorted (and let's us know what happened!) :eusa-doh:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi