Author Topic: Restrictor Kit  (Read 1468 times)

Offline devers

Restrictor Kit
« on: March 10, 2010, 20:07:23 »
First of all I would like to say that I am not 'completely mad' contrary to popular local belief.

I have been an owner of a wee K7 for just shy of a year and covered an enjoyable 7k miles – any excuse to get out on it.

Now, with the help of a few mates down the pub we are going to do a (coastal) John O’Groats to Lands End 125cc run starting July 17th this year in true Topgear fashion (I.e. a points based system for various activities).

Rules are simple.  Ride a 125 or wear a t-shirt all day with FAG (Fighting Against the Grain) and buy the first round every evening.

I have deliberated about buying or hiring and then came up with a cunning plan – why not restrict my wee!  As I am 6’4” I honestly don’t fancy a tiny 125; I remember constantly dragging the rear brake on my CBT because I had nowhere else to put my feet!

Therefore, does anyone know if one can buy a de-restrictor kit (costs) and fit it yourself?  Ideally I would ride to John O’Groats (from Midlands area), fit the kit, ride to Lands End, unplug it and ride home…..

Err…maybe this is a bid mad!

Anonymous

Re: Restrictor Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 20:35:57 »
Totally pointless to put a restrictor kit on. For a start restrictors are 33 BHP and a 125 is 13 BHP. If you really want to restrict your Wee, then simply stay behind the 125 bikes.
Or better still.... enter into the spirit of it and actually go on a 125.

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 20:38:51 »
a dt125 or similar should give you the leg room at least, I'm 6'2" and have fitteed OK on one of them in the past, plus be a hoot to ride compared to a cg or similar
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline devers

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 20:49:27 »
The kit was an alternative idea to save hastle buying/selling.

I had looked at some DT125 on fleabay as they seem to go for around £500-800.  At the opposite end I have also looked at the YZF-R125 - would kill the initial budget but topgear points lost would be minimal as could re-sell a week later for similar price.

Still got a few months to decide........

Offline imacwalker

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 21:57:37 »
I'm running a 33bhp restrictor on my wee- not nice - it seems to loose power after around 4k rpm,
what about a vespa px ?
they're cheap and break down a lot- so You'd have plenty of those topgear-style breakdown moments
failing that 125 varadero- sold mine for 800notes - nice and bike bike

Offline Eric The Viking

• I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list!
  • Bike: Suzuki GSX 650 F, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XCA
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 22:24:40 »
I've still got the restricted ECU from Mrs Erics' Wee. Dead easy to change with only 2 multi plugs and a rubber strap, about 30 seconds.  It's yours for £40 (that's what I was going to put it on E-bay for), I'll cover the post, but in all honesty as has already been said, there's not much point.  
I found there to be little difference with the standard or restricted ECU, there was very little difference in the bottom end of the rev / speed / power range, it only restricted the higher end power.

IMHO, don't bother unless your licence requires it.  :shrug:
Keep The Shiny Side Up And Your Helmet Polished

Honda SS50, Kawasaki KH250 B2, Honda CB400/4 F2, Kawasaki KE125, Honda CB250N Super Dream, Yamaha RD250, Honda CB250N Super Dream (again), Honda CB750/4 F2, Kawasaki ZZR1100 D7, Suzuki V Strom DL650 K8, Suzuki V Strom DL1000 K6, Suzuki GSX 650F, Piaggio Fly 125, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XCA, Mini-Moto Ducati replica.

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:43:49 »
Quote from: "imacwalker"
I'm running a 33bhp restrictor on my wee- not nice - it seems to loose power after around 4k rpm,
what about a vespa px ?
they're cheap and break down a lot- so You'd have plenty of those topgear-style breakdown moments
failing that 125 varadero- sold mine for 800notes - nice and bike bike

I've had my PX for 5 years now and it has never broken down, they are bulletproof in standard form, only when you tamper do they start to show niggles  :shy:

Stu