Author Topic: 1000 - Centre Stand  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Joy Strom

• Bike: DL1000XT
1000 - Centre Stand
« on: January 02, 2021, 09:50:57 »
Hi all

Have read a few threads about the three most common stands for the 1000.

Initially when I bought the bike, I was put off installing a stand because of what I regarded as a particularly wide look and appearance.  And from that, the concern of grounding it on a left bend. I’ve done this on a GS and it’s a hairy moment to experience.  The GS is quite tidy and neat.  But I have become fed up with continually raising the bike up via a paddock stand so I really must get a stand installed.

Have I remembered things correctly as I’ve trawled through some eBay photos and in fairness the Suzuki stand seems to tuck under the pillion footrest. Or is that the levering arm arches out and then comes back under the peg. Which of the three is the most compact and indiscreet... Suzuki, Motech or Hepco?

Thanks

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
Re: 1000 - Centre Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:34:43 »
I only have experience of the Suzuki stand. When solo I find the foot pegs ground first but with a pillion the stand tends to ground. Nothing like as bad as many other bikes I've owned. I can easily live with it. I could live without a centre stand on sports bikes but like the convenience of it on the Strom. Benefits far outweigh occasionally grounding it IMO.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 17:45:56 »
Same as Old git, I can ground the foot pegs easy solo or two up, the centre stand on the left side solo if I try hard and two up easy but never on the right, I think the oe exhaust would hit first .
I don't hit anything now apart from the footrests as  I've changed the rear shock and the bike sits higher now. My stand is the oe Suzuki. I had the SW motech main stand on my tiger800, it tucked up well but needed a big effort to get the bike up on the stand so that put me off that one.

Offline Joy Strom

• Bike: DL1000XT
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 08:42:18 »
Thanks to both of you  :text-goodpost: