Author Topic: Warranty and new 1050 vs old1000 dimensions.  (Read 1759 times)

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
Warranty and new 1050 vs old1000 dimensions.
« on: November 28, 2020, 11:39:41 »
Hello all.

As you can read in another posting in here, I upgraded my 650 to the new 1050. I have been looking at a bigger bike for some time, and of course also the 1050. I chose to put the thought aside, as I was thinking that the 650 is actually a really, really good bike.

But... as you can also read in another thread, I had issues with the ABS. I have been fighting with Suzuki to fix this on warranty (5-years warranty and all services has been done by authorised dealers). But no dealer/repair shop wanted to fix it on warranty. The first deal even took it in to diagnose it, charged me 100£ and said it is a warranty claim, and they have no time to fix it.

I even called other shops with the same message. Suzuki distributor was of no help until I actually "threadened" them to buy the MC back. Then they advised me a repair shop that (without happiness) actually took it in saying that they cannot promise a finish date and I they would not lend me a bike during repair.

Meantime the 1050 was on sale, and I asked the dealer for a price on my old bike (telling them the situation). I think I got a fair deal - a good price for my old bike and a deal that I can handle the bike in when repair is finished.

So it was a bit impulsive... but now as you know, I have a 1050 with accessories from my old 650. The top box is interchangable between 650 and 1050. My Shad tank bag cannot go on the 1050 at all (bought a Givi) and I need new adapters for the sidecases. This is where my question comes in:

The 1050 is so new that mounting adapters for my Shad SH23 does not exist yet. I get different messages of what to do. Shad themselves writes that I can use the mounting adapters from the 1000, but when I as a precaution mail them and ask, they say no, I need to wait for a new adapter to be produced. The 1000 cannot be used. Motocard (dealer) refers to the Shad website and tell me that I can use the one for 1000. I don't want to order the wrong one, therefor I ask you... are the dimentions for the 1000 and the 1050 the same when it comes to mounting of side bags?

After my episode with Suzuki warranty I am sure that I do not want to follow the maintenance on authorised dealers anymore. I like the bike, but the distibutor/dealers suck.

One dealer told me, that Suzuki only pays 1/3 of their normal repair charge and that this is why no one wants to fix the bike on warranty. )-:

Regards, Lars.

Offline Lemonwizard

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Warranty and new 1050 vs old1000 dimensions.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 01:11:17 »
One dealer told me, that Suzuki only pays 1/3 of their normal repair charge and that this is why no one wants to fix the bike on warranty. )-:
Sucks that Suzuki does that, but it is very good information to have. If you discreetly and with empathy tell the dealer that you heard how the "suckers at Suzuki" only pay their fine repair shop only like a third of the normal rate for warranty jobs and offer to give them an adequate amount of money under the table, I'm pretty sure they'll fix your bike up in no time.
This requires an alright relation with your dealer and substantial knowledge about the usual prices though. I personally lack the people skills and knowledge about the prices to pull this off (yet), but my riding buddy who's done similar under-the-table-deals for ages in all sorts of situations (e.g. works particularly well in hostels and the like) has fetched us all sorts of amazing deals which benefited both sides. :thumb:
I like M&Ms - motorcycles and metal 🤘

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 06:25:20 »
That's bollocks!
I worked in a Suzuki and Honda dealers.

They are a pita to get money out of.
But only as they require photos as evidence of work being carried out.
Also you have to keep the removed parts for a period of time incase they want to review them.
We had shelves of DL650 stator, all labelled with workshop job number, date and VIN.

I think the pay a third of the bill comes from Suzuki refusing warranty work due to being neglect by owner, abuse or wear and tear.
A Honda rep once told me, one area of corrosion is an issue, more than  two is neglect

Some dealers don't want the hassle of chasing recalls, unless it's a legal requirement due to safety recall. There a quite a bit of form filling that takes time.
We had many owners asking about their bike they bought new from other dealers and the original dealers didn't want to know.

It is ture that if you're paying £75 an hour for general service/repair work - another dealer, insurance company or manufacturer will be paying an internal rate which is usually half the 'retail' rate.

But that's why dealers charge a high rate, they're happy to take the half rate. Someone who walks in and pays the full rate is just MORE PROFIT. :text-woo:

Ride Coordinator

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 06:31:07 »
I'm not sure about Shad (not a fan)

But the 14-16 Givi rear rack and pannier frames don't fit the 17-19.

You can guess they changed just enough to mess with carrying over the luggage frames.

I'd say wait.

There is always development time for aftermarket parts, and with everything going on this year that may be a while.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Lemonwizard

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:05:30 »
Interesting, thanks for the insights. That does sound like a huge pita.

Still, if you have a problem you can't or don't want to fix yourself and/or you want to keep the warranty at all cost, then I don't see what's bad about spending a few quid. I'm not talking about topping their payment off by giving the dealer 2/3, 1/2 of the rate; just an amount that makes them less reluctant to take your warranty job and is still reasonable for you. Plus, if you build a nice relation to your dealer, this might come in very handy in the future; people skills required.

Yes, it's more money you would normally spend, but from my (second-hand) experience the benefits are worth it.
I like M&Ms - motorcycles and metal 🤘

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 09:29:57 »
A sad tale indeed. It may be a bit different here in the UK because of our 2015 consumer rights. Although.... in the end what surprised me is that after having very poor service from Suzuki you bought another one.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline bonne

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 11:48:02 »
Because I like the bike. Not the (warranty) service.

This is why I want to skip the authorised service and do the job I can myself and then decide later what I do with the jobs I need help with.

I am not paying 300£ for an oil change.

Offline bonne

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 11:49:48 »
Well yes, I could do that, by not if I later have to struggle to get my warranty claim taken seriously

Offline bonne

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 14:30:00 »
But we also have consumer rights here. I had to tell Suzuki that if they could not find me a dealer that could fix it, they had to buy the MC back.

They then found a dealer, but he was very unpleasant in any way. I think maybe he also did it because he was thinking that I might do the big 24.000 km service there at the same time. He said it is best to do it together, haha.

But ended up buying a new bike.

Offline stealthtech

• Bike: 2020 DL1050XTM0 2017GSXR750L7
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 00:28:53 »
I’m partially in agreement with mr diver above.

I, too, worked in a Suzuki dealership for about 14 years, as a technician, although on cars. I’m pretty sure the processes would be similar, photos for warranties, keeping displaced parts etc, etc. My thoughts are, has anyone suggested it may be the dealer himself who is talking bollocks??? The reason I ask this is that, in my time, I got to know a lot of people at SGB really well, people in key areas. As a brand, they always wanted to grow and keep customers happy. It was a great brand to work for and they were always customer focussed. I was, on a few occasions, the top Auto technician, so bloody good at my job. I know, for a fact, after many conversations that there were dealers / technicians up and down the land who did not do diagnostics thoroughly enough, either because they can’t be bothered or because they are driven by the dealer (who is effectively a stand alone garage with a Suzuki sign over the door) to produce more hours (=£). Warranty stuff, for some technicians, can be difficult so it’s easy for the dealer to pass the buck. I’ve seen it happen, I have been handed jobs from other dealers because no-one there could, or would, be bothered to get to the bottom of a complicated fix, and believe me, that is something that really pissed me off.....if I can be bothered, why can’t they? I have mixed with Suzuki technicians from all disciplines, and I know for a fact there are some great Suzuki bike technicians out there..... not every dealership out there works the same way in practice. In my time, I know Suzuki, as a brand, wanted happy customers, but not all dealers are the same. I will end by saying this. I could tell you, with cars,  a few dealers who I would recommend to get to the bottom of a complicated warranty job fairly well. I would suspect, to those in the know, it would be the same for Two wheel and ATV / Marine.

Regards Martyn
2020 DL1050XT Glass Sparkle Black
2017 GSXR750 Moto GP Colours
It seems every bike was a Suzuki 😀!!!