Author Topic: she won't start  (Read 2083 times)

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: she won't start
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2020, 17:42:17 »
 Do you have a meter ? If so, checked the battery with the ignition off then on, there should only be a couple of volts different.

If the voltage drops to much the ECU might be stopping you from starting the bike .

Triumph have this trickery also .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Dave the rave

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2020, 18:52:47 »
just had a look at mine 16 plate it does the same when kill switch is on blow the kill switch out with compressed air make sure there is no water in it. try another kill switch if you can  :smirk:

Offline Dannyb

• Bike: DL1000, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500X
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 10:12:23 »
no no codes just keeps reading check nothing else.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 14:22:56 »
Do these models still have the clutch switch? they were always a source of frustration before? 2 wires going to a switch behind the clutch switch gear...
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 16:19:41 »
Yes its still there. Worth a look, and the side stand switch also, I just jumped them with a bit or wire the time I had the no starting issue, wasn't them.

Offline Megashorts

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2020, 16:40:03 »
The workshop manual says CHEC is displayed when the instrument panel doesn't receive a signal from the ECM for more than 5 seconds. There is no fault code associated with this. It suggests kill switch, sidestand switch, ignition fuse or the wiring connecting them. You get an "FI" 3 seconds after turning the ignition on.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 20:13:07 »
After Megashorts above below I had a search through the forum for a similar problem......... a CHEC can only be caused by the side stand switch, the kill switch OR the ignition fuse OR the ECM signal not getting to the display because the system voltage is low,
see post #5 here.......https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=21973.msg208083#msg208083
and post #8 here.........https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=30462.msg301358#msg301358

both posts from greywolf (RIP) a man who knew his way around a V-Strom.

Because you have CHEC showing, normally the 'bike wouldn't turn over but if the above was the problem then it would turn over but not enough voltage to the ignition system.

I still think it's a voltage problem, either the battery itself or a wiring/corrosion problem in the ignition circuit.   
That's if I'm reading it all correctly. :shrug:

Edit...also mentioned by kwackboy above.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 22:27:43 »
 :text-goodpost:  Mick. It's amazing how many weird effects a duff battery can cause. Test it under load :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 09:27:35 »
To rule it all out, personally I'd short out the side stand switch, kill switch etc too. See if you can do the lot together.  You'll know if you get it right as the fuel pump will run its prime cycle.
If you don't get the prime cycle, it won't start anyway as the fuel pump isn't going to run with CHEC on the screen.
So ignore starting it, you need to get it to the point where you get the fuel pump prime cycle.  That should happen as soon as the safety circuit is completed.  The prime cycle will happen generally speaking even with quite a low battery.  That's always a good sign of a low battery as the pump will sound wrong.

Offline Dannyb

• Bike: DL1000, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500X
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 15:29:32 »
no can't get any codes. changed battery too checked fuses still nothing

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2020, 15:55:50 »
Just a thought, maybe your bike missed the earth lead recall. Connect a jumper cable, if you have one to the negative battery terminal and other end onto the frame somewhere, tank support a good place. This is what I did when mine went dead a few years ago.

Offline Megashorts

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2020, 16:31:29 »
The sidestand switch doesn't carry the power to the ECM, it goes through a relay. If the relay is faulty bridging the switch isn't going to make it work. Can you tell if there is power at the ignition fuse? It goes from there through the sidestand relay, through the kill switch and then to the ECM.