Author Topic: DL1000 1st gen fuel issue  (Read 582 times)

Offline Torque

• Bike: FZ1, DL1000
DL1000 1st gen fuel issue
« on: November 16, 2020, 05:26:56 »
I have already done some research and tried to find any relevant posts, but couldn't find anything similar to my problem. Here it goes:
Approx 2-3 weeks ago I've noticed that my DL1000 cuts out occasionally with 1 bar on the fuel indicator. It starts again with no problems, but the fuel warning light comes up and after about 30-40 secs goes away (fuel gauge shows 1 bar again) - I can continue riding with no problems. Today it happened again so I decided to measure how much fuel left in the tank.

The problem started after 224 km of city riding and it turned out that my Vstrom needed 17.3L of fuel to travel that distance. Tank capacity is 22L, so the engine cuts when there is still approx 5L of fuel left. What I know is that the previous owner had the tank and pump cleaned.

What do you think - Is this a problem with the fuel pump, fuel gauge sending unit or something else? Please advise.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: DL1000 1st gen fuel issue
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 06:18:59 »
My suggestion would be to do a flow test.

Put 12v to the pump for 30 seconds, the pump should flow between 1 & 1.2 litres of fuel.

Anything below that, I'd suggest either the filters are blocked or the pump needs changing.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: DL1000 1st gen fuel issue
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 06:25:21 »
Although the fuel tank may be a 22 Litre, the tank by design should never be allowed to drain dry while riding. The fuel pump, being located inside the fuel tank, requires roughly two Litres of fuel to keep the pump submerged. I would recommend that you do the fuel flow test when next the failure occurs, to determine the volume of fuel being pumped when the fuel pump primes. When you have time, have a look at https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=18930.0 and https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,3981.0.html.