Author Topic: Whinny engine/gearbox?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline jimmyp76

Whinny engine/gearbox?
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:23:04 »
When riding my bike, (03 V), I'm starting to get a whining noise when I change down a gear. It also happens when I'm in a higher gear and roll off the throttle and coast. Would you think this is a knackered gear box? As I'm not mechanically minded I really have no idea. Luckily enough I only got the bike in June and the dealer gave me a 12 month warranty so if it is as bad as a knackered gear box I'm covered.

Cheers.
Jim.

Commander

Re: Whinny engine/gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:34 »
Hi Jim, well it's difficult to be sure from 'an internet description' of a noise. However, the Vee is a noisey engine. It knocks, whirrs, vibrates, whistles, whines, clunks, rattles and generally is how a big Suzuki vee engine should be. If this is a new noise, and in an extreme case, it might just be the chain is too tight and is causing the gearbox output shaft bearing to whine. Is the oil level OK? I would add that my Vee whines when winding on the power in 2nd and 3rd particularly and whines when coming of the power in almost any gear. She's only done 6,500 miles but it is normal. So it may just be that you are noticing a normal noise that you just haven't noticed before because you are now so relaxed riding it...maybe!

nanookotn

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 17:44:05 »
It wasn't the pillion was it? Mine tend to whine a lot... :grin:

Offline jimmyp76

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 21:19:57 »
Quote removed

I've checked oil levels, chain tension etc and all is fine. The noise is a new noise and not something I didn't notice.
A friend of mine who has a K8 says that prior to 2004 they had a problem with the clutch basket that was rectified from 04 onwards so it may just be that.

Offline 73bm73

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:40:40 »
Quote removed

Do you have much more vibrations at low rpm's, aren't you able to drive continously 20-30 mph (without "hopping") and do you have no more noise while pull the clutch slightly? Than could it be the clutch basket.

Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 19:08:22 »
You may have a rear wheel bearing on it's way out, under load they can produce a bit of a whine and they don't last forever. If your bike is 03, even with lowish miles it could still be going south. The seals on these Suzuk bearings are not that great. They only properly seal one side of the bearing, so if someone uses a hose or high pressure washer on a regular basis to wash the bike the water gets into the bearings. Put the bike on it's centre stand if you have one or a paddock stand if you don't. With the rear wheel clear of the ground try to wiggle the wheel top to bottom. Are the wheel bearings noisy when the wheel is rotated? Is the sprocket carrier bearing OK...all stuff that makes noise when they start to go.