Author Topic: Dealer visit  (Read 956 times)

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
Dealer visit
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:14:57 »
My 2017 1000 A8 went in for an MOT on Monday (it’s first one), an ABS pump brake fluid purge, and I asked them to checkout an annoying rattle (that’s just appeared). Whilst that lot was going on I went out for a hoon around (test ride) on the new 1050 (interesting ride,quicker from the mid range up, slower from low to mid range seemed more flickable, better ride up front, rock hard seat)
Dealer advised the Suzuki crash bars were the cause of the rattle and torqued up the fastenings.....hmmm
Brake fluid purge on the ABS - done no problems
MOT - was a pass with a big fat advisory listed as DANGEROUS, the SW motech bar backs are stressing the hydraulic lines (the handlebars move from side to side freely but yes the lines are tighter) bar backs specs are up 30mm back 21mm

Rode home rattle still there but reduced (it’s NOT resonating) any ideas remedies?
And does anybody know the torque settings for the crash bars so I can check this myself

Bar backs - I’m disinclined to remove them at the moment open to opinions / real time experience

TIA

If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: Dealer visit
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 13:42:11 »
If it's crash bars then there are two things to do. Both happened to me.
The first time I had rattle I loosened all bolts on crash bars and then tighten a bit all of them, then tighten a bit again, then tighten to torque specs. You have to do them all at the same time, not loose and tighten one by one, arse loose all of them and then start tightening all of them arround (I hope I made myself understandable).
The second time it happened, it was worse. The rattle was loud. So during the ride I would put my hand on bars and move it arround. I found out that if I grab left bar it stopped rattling. Later I did slow investigation, inch by inch on left crash bar and found out the crack on it (Givi Bars). Welded that spot at the dealer and it's all good ever since. The dealer did one smart thing. He didn't remove the bar and then welded it because, he said, if he did it he would introduce back the stress on the bar. He rather spot-welded it while mounted on the bike and then removed it and did proper welding. He said after it cracked it released the stress so it was smart to weld it with stress released. I have very good dealer.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline STORMY

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 16:03:38 »
A dealer prepared to weld crash bars, assume you’re not in the U.K. fairly sure they’d only be interested in selling a new pair to you here.
Rattle only occurs on bumpy roads, so it could very well be the beginnings of a crack, holding them does not stop it and it appeared (I believe) fairly suddenly.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 17:33:21 »
Surely anything listed as DANGEROUS would be a fail, especially if it's a modification too!  :shrug:

Alarm bells must still be ringing...........  :shock:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline STORMY

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 18:26:08 »
I probably will remove them, but if it’s dangerous it shouldn’t have passed, yet they passed it. Can’t help thinking they got slightly annoyed because they forgot to do the MOT when I asked for the bill my first Q was did it pass lol hushed silence,  apologised and took the bike back into the workshop.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 20:51:27 »
I think this is one of those areas that the new MOT checks misses but has the real prospect of becoming a dangerous situation prior to the next MOT. The list of designated failure reasons on flexible hoses is:

The hose doesn't meet both parts of the first reason so that can't apply at this time, and he doesn't see it meet part 2 of reason b either, but, in the tester's opinion, is running an increased chance of it failing due to the tension so has advised you of it as that would be dangerous. Couldn't fail it but had to make you aware of the seriousness so seems fair to me.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Online Joe Rocket

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 21:49:38 »
I can see the reasoning there Mr Nick.

Flexible Brake hose 'stretched' b ii .........major if not, likely to fail a  Dangerous..... (the latter reported by STORMY)

However anything noted as major defect or even worse dangerous is surely a fail.

In any other case it can only be item b I ........minor as an advisory.

Interpretation of rules; as neither you nor I have seen the defect and are we sufficiently trained up to decide anyway?

:shrug:

Offline STORMY

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 23:10:41 »
Brakes are brakes and on reflection of course it’s stupidity to risk it, but they should have failed the bike in my opinion........I’ll be returning the bike back to standard before riding it again I do appreciate the feedback.
The rattle from the crash bars will probably take longer to resolve (it's so irritating), but that’s all it is annoying.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 23:30:52 »
My understanding of the new system from what I've seen of it and what tester mates have told me, the testers do not decide whether something is a fail or not any more: they select from the available faults and the program then assigns a seriousness to that defect and decides the result of the MOT. The list of faults available is pre-determined and, if the tester could not assign the issue he saw to one of those, then he can't input it as a defect, bearing in mind that 'enhancing the truth' to match a defect that's not correct to make it a fail can result in an easy appeal.
Stormy says they don't impede the steering which takes away the tester's chance to record the fault under section 2.1.4 (c) 'Restriction in the movement of the handlebars from lock to lock - Major'.
However, in the interest of keeping the customer alive, he's noted it as something that is likely to cause a catastrophic brake failure if not dealt with, even if the actual issue isn't a defined defect as yet. There is a significant difference between being a bit tight and excessively stretched as defined in the system as a major fault.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Online Joe Rocket

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 08:21:52 »
I fully accept your explanation there. Last but one sentence sums the situation up for me.

It does bring to mind a recent incident where 'it's OK to break the Law in a limited and specific way'..............  :icon_exclaim:

I rest my case m'lord.   :)