Author Topic: 1st Trip abroad  (Read 2529 times)

Offline GrahamT

Re: 1st Trip abroad
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 10:21:51 »
Most enjoyable are the N roads (yellow on maps) which are better than our A roads but with much less traffic.
Absolutely right, but just a tiny correction; "N" (National) roads are red, "D" roads (Departemental) are yellow on the map. The mileposts (bornes) along the road have a cap of the same colour together with the road number.
Some of the "D" roads, especially in the D9xx range are as good as the "N"s as they are often "N"s that have been downgraded. For example the N138 becomes the D938.
Just be careful on the smaller roads for warning signs saying "Gravaillons". This means the roads, or potholes, have been covered in the slippery grey chippings the French use to surface their roads. Great when it is set into the surface tar, but lethal just after it has been laid.
I'm going to France at Easter (by car) I love it there and go at least twice a year.
Have a good time.
We used to have Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.
Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 19:03:43 »
Apologies, must be getting colour blind in my old age! The yellow ones are the ones to use and I've gone all the way from Le Havre down to the Spanish border using only these roads whenever possible. You can look at them on maps and see how they snake their way through the countryside, especially when you get into the hills down south. The difficulty navigating in France using these roads is due to their sign posing which can sometimes suddenly leave out the next place you are heading for! The best way is to plan a route between fuel or meal stops going village to village and use the road names to help, all written out and tucked into your tank bag.

Offline Motofrog

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 21:31:38 »
Travel insurance I use the Post Office . They do cover motorcyling . A lot of companies limit cover to 125cc or even less so be carefull. Keep RIGHT very easy to forget after having a meal or if stopping on the other side of road for something. Have loads of FUN.
The search for toys goes ON

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 10:10:32 »
Actually I always found that "driving on the wrong side of the road" was never a problem while you were away. BUT, the first days after you return home and you are nice and relaxed - you suddenly find yourself driving down the wrong side of your own street! :shock:

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 16:08:29 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
Actually I always found that "driving on the wrong side of the road" was never a problem while you were away. BUT, the first days after you return home and you are nice and relaxed - you suddenly find yourself driving down the wrong side of your own street! :shock:

Ditto that ! I've done exactly the same thing, much to the shock of the neighbours... I find it strangely natural driving on the right, even in a car. Enjoy Your holiday, Bry   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'