Author Topic: Cleaning Glee LH switch gear  (Read 638 times)

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
Cleaning Glee LH switch gear
« on: August 14, 2020, 10:59:34 »
When I’m preparing for a ride and checking my lights, (just disconnected from battery conditioner), the main beam or flash don’t work. However did work fine as soon as engine started.
Now when engine running the main beam works fine but the flash won’t work at all.
I’m presuming the switchgear has got some corrosion in it, as hazards intermittent as well, so plan to open it up to inspect and clean.
Are there any springs or parts likely to fly out under tension as I undo the casing screws as wary of losing small pieces?
Thanks, Mark.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Cleaning Glee LH switch gear
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 00:12:34 »
I think there might be a spring so just open it slowly to release the tension. (It has been a while since I opened mine)

Mine hazards sometimes don't work. I opened it up and there was no sign of corrosion in there. I've found that occasionally leaving the hazard switch in the on position overnight helps keep them working.
Also, if you look underneath the switch there's a few drain holes there. If you have contact cleaner you can put the straw in there and give it a good spray too.

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 13:11:18 »
It might also be wise to check out all those connections under the dash which give trouble sometimes

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 13:48:45 »
and when it's all sorted consider fitting headlight relays for a nice clean supply from the battery and a much reduced load on the little switch contacts.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.