Author Topic: Clutch slave cylinder went rogue...  (Read 524 times)

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Clutch slave cylinder went rogue...
« on: July 29, 2020, 16:19:55 »
Yesterday I lost the clutch when riding on countryside roads. Clutch lever become spongy and I had massive difficulties shifting. I managed to get home somehow. Almost all fluid leaked out. I stripped clutch cylinder (making huge mess on driveway) and I could see massive corrosion inside cylinder and on piston. Probably seal went bust as well. I did reasembly cylinder adding stripe of aluminium can under the seal to get it stick out more and today I had a challenge to ride clutchless to Milton Keyenes. Unfortunately the only Suzuki dealer nearby went bust because of covid. So I spent an hour or so by calling all the motorcycle garages in 100miles radius. Nobody but one garage in London had the Clutch slave Cylinder on stock (found on ebay). I wasn't even sure if it will fit. It was advertised up to DL1000 K4. I risked and went to London. 60miles ride clutchless except to Stop and put to N and shift to 1. Riding 2mph to red traffic light having hope it will change until I arrive to it. Thanks good most of the journey was M1. But traffic in london was hell, not everywhere I was able to filter. Every traffic light I was preparing for the worst. I managed to get there by saving leaking fluid and use clutch only when absolutely necessary. Now the bike is fixed, cylinder fit perfectly. I also learned something new :)  How to upshift and downshift without using clutch by using throttle for that. It is quite easy on this bike.

Photos of guilty attached.