Author Topic: 2009 wee rear brake pad thickness?  (Read 932 times)

Offline Fritz

• Bike: DL650 K9
2009 wee rear brake pad thickness?
« on: July 19, 2020, 20:04:05 »
Can't find info anywhere, just wondering if someone has a set of new pads and can measure overall thickness for me?

I inherited a set of Motor Tech CML174 pads with bike and when I try to fit them they are way tight, bind on disc terrible and don't free off

The pads coming out are worn at an angle to may be piston needs a clean and new seals to get it working better. The original (I think actual original) pads have a wear line very close to backing plate, the Mototech ones have a wear line nowhere near as near backing. I'm sure must be right ones as same shape etc, but as I didn't buy I wouldn't know if for a different bike with 'similar' brake.

I'll get the seals ordered to pop piston out and clean (looks pretty bobby dazzler though from what I can see). All other dust seals fine and lubed.

The pads just seem a couple of mm too thick?

worth an ask - thanks in advance

Sticking old ones back in brake works fine...but off to France in couple of weeks so need to change.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: 2009 wee rear brake pad thickness?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 20:31:27 »
Sounds like the calipers need a service as you imply. The pistons don't sound to be totally free to me. My Kaxasaki GPX had unequal wear (at an angle) and it was sticky pistons.

If the pads are 2mm too thick then they shouldn't be fitted. To go to France I'd get a cheap fit pair for now and investigate further later. Check the pistons first........ :roll:

Enjoy France.....I do!
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 21:32:38 »
unfortunately w/o guidance on thickness of pads I wouldn't know if say EBC would fit instead  :grin:

Offline Fritz

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 21:39:48 »
PS - I think these are cheap pads....could be the issue..or not  :whistle:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 22:27:51 »
The pad size you are looking for should be ..

86.1 x 40.2 x 9.3 mm

This size should be the same throughout different manufacturers.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Fritz

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 10:35:28 »
Thanks Kwackboy, that's what I was after.

These measure 10.3 (each side), a cumulative additional 2mm may make a difference.

The piston is seated home all the way and once pads 'in' it's very hard to get caliper on disc...I'm sure there should be a little play (the clips shims and springs shouldn't make it so hard).

I'll have a fanny about this morning then if no success get on to Robinson foundry for a pair of seals and EBC pads.

Doesn't look like you can get the seals on their own easily, don't really needs boots etc as all good and piston also looks 'clean'.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 11:44:28 »
Also worth checking there isn't too much fluid in the master cylinder. If it's been changed/topped up on worn pads it could have too much in for new pads.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 12:07:27 »
Aye been taking some out for new and back in for old  :)

What a palaver that is just to get to reservoir  :roll:

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 14:30:18 »
Just lay a sheet of emery/wet&dry/sand paper on a true flat surface and manually linish the pads to size.
In theory the problem is that particles of abrasive may become embedded in the surface of the friction material and damage the disk, in practice I don't think it will be an issue.
What have you got to lose :shrug: sounds like the pads are going in the bin anyway.

Oh but thinking about it it is the brakes and your just about to travel hundreds of miles across continental europe :shock:

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 15:09:38 »
Just been in the garage and looked at a spare set of rear pads that I have for my K9,they are 9.5mm thick in total with 5 mm of pad material.Don’t bother with Suzuki OE pads, they cost a fortune and are made from old bathroom tiles.When I changed to these I finally had a rear brake that I could use.
Ian Mc.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 21:08:43 »
Ta all, looks like they are a tad thick...or were...now about 9.5 and easing in, will take a little bit more off to save a caliper rebuild for know, as mentioned, piston looks clean and bright and no leakage.

For now I'll pursue the sanding down pads I have which seems to be working and is the cheapest, quickest fix.

Only going to the alps so no real need for brakes  :grin:

Offline steveP Scooter

• Bike: DL1000 K3, Too many others
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 17:54:31 »
You could also go straight to the EBC site for all the info on any brake pad you like.
On your bike it also depends on whether you have abs or not......
PLUS.........don't mix the front and rear pads. If you have double H sintered in the rear, fit double H sintered in the front, keeps the brake balance nice.
The only down side with double H sintered pads is that although they are bloody good, they do wear your discs a lot quicker.
Here's a link to the EBC site for your pads:

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/motorcycle/partno/fa174

Offline Fritz

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 09:14:04 »
Cheers for that, I'm going to stick with these just for now but would certainly go down EBC line generally. Pads coming out are Nissin so I assume originals. Coming from airhead BMs I'm not really used to having a back brake anyway so probably not get heavy use 🤔
Think fronts are replaced as loads of wear left.... don't think I've ever seen anyone wear out rears before front, but who knows.
Some 28,000m on bike

Offline Fritz

replacement stainless steel pad pin
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 13:44:44 »
One thing I did change on rear caliper was the pad pin. I noticed there was a slot worn in pin meaning pad wouldn't move easily so possibly caused the uneven wear on existing pads. See pic

The replacement stainless steel pin is a thing of beauty and cost basically £6 - last a lifetime (hopefully!)

Worthwhile upgrade if changing pads let alone stripping caliper...but not essential obviously if no signs of wear  :thumb: