Author Topic: Spoke Adjustment  (Read 758 times)

Offline Joy Strom

• Bike: DL1000XT
Spoke Adjustment
« on: June 22, 2020, 20:08:21 »
Hi all

Just been tapping around the spokes. One or two are a bit thuddy. I take it a slight turn clockwise with an Allen key is the way the tighten on the V Strom?

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
Re: Spoke Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 23:21:01 »
A spoke key/spanner is better, fits on the nipple. T use an allen key would involve taking the tyre off. And unless you know how to tune a wheel I'd leave well alone. One wrong turn and you'll have a buckled wheel.

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:45:17 »
I tightened a spoke on my pushbike once. Two hours later I sat back and stared aghast at my handiwork. I don't think I have ever done anything that went so wrong, so fast, and with so little warning.  :groan:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:57:55 »
Have you been off road rock hopping on it?
Spin the wheel and check the runout is within spec. Then check the rim is still round. You will need a dial guage for accuracy.
I am a numpty, but I think a single loose spoke is rare and the surounding two or four spokes on the same side of the hub must be out of tune and a sign that the rim is going out of alignment. If only one spoke is loose you might give it a quarter turn and mark it for future reference.

For road bikes, spokes are a fancy PITA a waste of time to keep clean or expensive when not.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 14:06:15 »
I've been saying it for years Brocket. There's absolutely no positives at all having spokes on a road bike and V-stroms are road bikes. Pottering up a fire road doesn't count as offroad and certainly doesn't warrant having spoked wheels. How many people who've paid a premium for an inferior product will make the same mistake again? Not many, I'd bet.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 15:20:33 »
I have 2 bikes each with cast & spoked wheels - each came with that as the only choice at the time. The TS had new stainless rims & spokes built for her and does very little mileage so there's no issues there. The 990 has the originals still in place and some spokes are a bit shabby looking where the chrome's suffering 10 years down the line, but everything is still tight & true.
Would I buy a spoked wheel bike again now if I had the choice? That depends who made it. Knowing the processed dairy products Suzuki use across their bikes, I wouldn't thank you for them as you know they're going to go wrong fairly quick. BMW ones you know aren't going to corrode as the dodgy drive train will keep them well oiled. KTM: well, there is the option of cast wheels that still look spoked and I would probably go for those if the option presented, but spokes wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
Re: Spoke Adjustmen
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 19:16:56 »
The main issue with modern spoked wheels is corrosion. I bought a modern Triumph T120 on 2016. The bike wasn't even run in and I got a rear puncture. On removing the tube I noticed lots of rust on it. I took the tyre off the rim and under the tape was very badly corroded. The bike was less than a fortnight old. The rust crept up the spokes despite regular treatment with acf50. Meanwhile my 40 year old GT500 that had lain under a tarpaulin for years had no corrosion on any of the spokes or rims. Manufacturing  processes are simply flawed. Cheap materials and inadequate processes. The Triumph got the heave in favour of the V-strom - the bike I should have bought in the first place.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 20:09:44 »
I agree where cheap brands are involved: cheap, not inexpensive though. This was the TS rear wheel after about 35 years of neglect before I'd even cleaned it. Probably about on a par with Suzuki and Triumph as they arrive at the dealers...
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!