Author Topic: Torque settings  (Read 1322 times)

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
Torque settings
« on: June 06, 2020, 20:59:41 »
DL1000 A8 (Gen 3)
I’m in the middle of fitting one of those Cymarc gear enhancers, and attending to a few other things at the same time:
Can anybody tell me the torque settings (colour coded arrows) re:caliper fastenings (missed a fastening I’ll call that one No arrow just below the bleed nipple)
Will Teflon grease do the job on the pins on the caliper, or do I need silicon grease?
Rear sprocket torque settings 60 N-ms, or is this another over ambitious value (I.e the rear axle nut should be 100 N-ms, but the general consensus is 80 N-ms is more than enough) similar thing?
Thanks  :thumb:

If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
Re: Torque settings
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 13:44:19 »

Offline STORMY

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 14:47:43 »
Thanks Bako it’s given me the specs for a 2014 onwards model (should have looked there first) but no ABS sensor bolt torque values - so I went with 10Nms on those.
Somebody called Grey Wolf on Stormtroopers reckons that’s what they were and he definitely looks like he knows his onions.
But just in case anybody else wants them

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 15:14:07 »
Funnily enough I've just been through exactly the same process on a 650 flavour of the same year. I came to the conclusion that all Suzukis values are ridiculous and put the torque wrench back in its box after one of the sprocket nuts totally let go well before the "correct" value was reached.

Smaller bolts such as the abs sensor, just nip them up, bigger bolts such as rear spindle make sure it's tight, but for me I will no longer follow the manuals "2 ugga dugga" principles :)
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline STORMY

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 15:24:18 »
Also did some work involving the rear sprocket tightened to 50 NM-s (no grease), but the manual says 60NM-s. All I did was mark them up just to check for any  signs of future movement.
Suzuki does go over the top on some of these fastenings (he said as the rear wheel and sprocket parted company lol)

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 15:27:51 »
Just for your info, Greywolf was one of the most knowledgeable & helpful people in the world of V-Stroms: he was a true gent that we miss his presence greatly.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 17:25:49 »
 :text-goodpost:
Greywolf had an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Vstrom, and any other general motorcycling things. His mileages on the wee and glee were very impressive, too.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 22:00:45 »
Greywolf :bow-blue:
He definitely was a true gent and would offer his knowledge and experience freely to all.
I noticed it was the anniversary of his passing recently. I shall raise a glass to him at the weekend  :thumb:

Oh, and I tend to do as Josh does "just nip them up, bigger bolts such as rear spindle make sure it's tight"   :fix:

Offline STORMY

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 22:07:57 »
Oh I didn’t know he had passed, that’s quite sad even though I never knew the bloke.
I’m sure he’d be heartened to know his scribes are still helping V Strom’ers from beyond the grave, I doff my hat to you Sir  :thumb:
R.I.P Greywolf

Offline STORMY

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 22:12:27 »
Oh, and I tend to do as Josh does "just nip them up, bigger bolts such as rear spindle make sure it's tight"   :fix:
I’ve not long acquired a pair of Teng T/Wrenches just getting my moneys worth lol

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 23:07:35 »
When I was at work,I used to do a lot of large diesel engine rebuilds, mostly for shunting locos and large landfill gas powered generator engines.On one particular engine .a Rolls Royce V8, the main bearing bolts were torqued up to 1000 ft lbs, with a double barreled torque wrench.(it was enough to just collect the lump from the toolstore).What I used to do as there was no chance to use it as you normally would, was to turn the engine on its side on the build stand, and then use the overhead crane to torque up the bolts.Shame I couldn’t have gone and fitted the engine in Sri Lanka, seems an interesting place to visit if you are not paying,(no I am not from
Yorkshire)
Ian Mc.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 10:18:09 »
I set the torque wrench to 80% of stated value. This is not only to reduce the risk of a ham fisted Brockett stripping the threads  :fix:  but also to account for worn threads that may have oil/grease contamination. I've never had anything come undone.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.