Author Topic: Securing V-Strom on ferries  (Read 1214 times)

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
Securing V-Strom on ferries
« on: June 11, 2020, 22:29:31 »
Some time ago I went on the first ride on a ferry. I actually though that the crew on the ferry was going to secure it, but no "because of insurance I had to do it myself". And there were actually no help

There are no center stand on my bike, so I secured it by setting the bike in gear, rolling it forward, setting it on the side stand and the strapping it with straps on the left and right side (on the chassis) and on the return, I also strapped the rear tyre (see attachment). Nothing happened, but I would like to know for the next time, what the recommended way would be? I googled it and found a lot of different answers. Like always letting it stand on the side stand to never let it stand on the side stand.

How do you do it and how strong would you tighten the straps?

Regards, Lars.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Securing V-Strom on ferries
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 23:01:42 »
The only time I went on a ferry the crew did it. They had motorbike specific parking which had a front wheel clamp. They told me to leave it in gear and then strapped down the handlebars ensuring the forks were compressed. They then secured the rear of the bike compressing the rear shock. I can't remember if they also put one over the seat too, though I've heardadvice to take a towel use folded on the seat to stop the strap cutting into it.

Offline rus998

• Bike: DL650XTA L6, Vincent Comet
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 00:03:24 »
Over night from Harwich to the Hoek the crew do it. They use one strap over the seat that has a pad built in to the strap, bike in gear and side stand down. Dover to Calais you strap the bike down yourself. Again bike in gear and side stand down. I carry two ratchet straps in the tank bag and depending on the floor locations run one from each crash bar or one over the seat (use your gloves as a pad). The only time I have had to use more than two straps was on the crossing from Portsmouth To Bilbao as that can be a bit rough  :grin:

Offline alan29

• 200th Member
  • Bike: DL650XT M0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 06:49:03 »
Brittany Ferries do it for you.
Otherwise .... side stand for three points of contact not centre stand which just gives two. In gear so the bike can't move. Strap down either side over the seat. I use my gloves under the strap to protect the seat. Tighten it enough to hold the bike securely.
There are always other bikers around to give you a hand.

Offline Fritz

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 09:51:00 »
strap between side-stand (centre-stand if you have one) and front wheel...no need to over-tighten, just enough to stay in place and prevent stand going up (whichever stand). Means bike cannot roll off stand(s). There is generally a tang or loop on stand that prevents strap slipping and the front wheel has spokes to do same (unless solid...unlikely on front)

It can in theory it could slide around or fall over (unlikely 'generally' unless going to Iceland or round capes) so wise to also attach to deck...I certainly would...but no need to go mad...that seat you're compressing is what you might be sat on for next day for hundreds of miles.

That strap tip is probably best ever tip I picked up for lashing on boats (fellow traveler years ago). I always carry a small strap long enough to do that with in an easily accessible spot.

I don't usually put bike in gear as just adds to complications.

If you have to 'compress the suspension' I suspect you won't be getting any sleep as there is a real danger you'll fall out of your bunk....either that or your suspension is completely ****ed. Can't see logic of it all I'm afraid?

It also works on uneven ground if you happen to be working on low side of heavily loaded bike...imagine getting trapped under your bike in a desert while fiddling with gear lever...

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 10:09:26 »
Both Brittany Ferries and Transmanche crew do it. On side stand between two floor hook points, pad on seat and ratchet strapped. Not over tight as was said above.
So how's it going so far then?

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 10:14:21 »
I should have added my bike at the time was an XVS1300 cruiser so a big heavy bugger laddened with chrome. There was no way that bike was moving anywhere on the Dover - Calais crossing which was also relatively smooth. I did think at the time the chap may have been overdoing it, but I can't say I minded too much as I'd rather it be over secure than under.
Since using the ferry to make that crossing, I've always used the tunnel since which is much easier as its just drive on, leave the bike in gear and stand beside it for the crossing.

Offline alan29

• 200th Member
  • Bike: DL650XT M0
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 10:16:23 »
there's a very thorough discussion of this here ....
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/399114-Securing-bike-on-ferry

That is an excellent board to join if you like to tour. Loads of .gpx files. It can get a bit "blunt" at times.

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 10:30:59 »
The photo towards the bottom of p1 in the link Alan29 provided looks like the set up I used (must have been a Seafrance ferry). The worst bit about that was having to do a 180° turn on a wet deck both to park the bike and then get off the ferry...

Offline Fritz

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 13:46:22 »
Can't believe nowhere on any of this so far have I seen the (light not tight) strap from stand to front wheel...believe me...it's the best thing you can do before you even think of strapping the bike to the boat... in any way...honest

It really is a toptastic tip  :thumb:

Try it at home on drive and see if you can get bike to fall over whether on side stand or centre stand. Unless the strap fails, the bike is going nowhere.

No strap? Use your belt  :smirk:

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 08:22:51 »
Beware when using brittany ferries..yes they fasten the bikes down ..but they have no idea of how to do it & over tighten the straps over your seat . They are only deck hands and have no training , I've seen several bike seats broken ..at the end of the day the bike is your property & if you arrive in spain with a two week tour ahead of you
& a knackered seat  its too late then .. a bloke on a return sailing was telling me his BMW seat was also ruined as the strap squashed the foam and it never returned to its original shape ..I don't take any crap off them , I slacken the staps off myself to what I  think is right .

Offline Methusela

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 10:19:02 »
In the days when I was securing a heavily laden PanEuropean on a ferry I always put an additional strap between the stand and the front wheel. I also used an elastic band to hold he front brake lever in. Before I did this I once had the night mare of returning to the car deck to find the bike had moved and the side stand was wedged down one of the cross shaped drain holes. It took four hefty deck hands to get it out, and vehicles were being loaded for the return journey all around us.