Author Topic: Suspension upgrade on Veek  (Read 901 times)

Offline Veezo

• Bike: V-twin
Suspension upgrade on Veek
« on: March 27, 2020, 03:54:25 »
Has anyone tried to change the dirt bike suspension parts on their Veek? The bouncy handling makes it complicated sometimes. Or is it just better to adjust the damping settings?

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: Suspension upgrade on Veek
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 07:39:34 »
I'd also like to know the answer. I never ride off road and sometimes I think my suspension has too much travel.
There must be a way to adjust it for onroad but I know nothing about suspensions, it's really big hole in my knowledge about motorcycles.
As for the rear. I ride -10 clicks solo and 0 clicks with pillion.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:21:23 »
I've  changed  a few things on mine over the 5 years I've owned it.
First I fitted a Hyperpro rear spring as I'm always two up, this helped a lot. I could run zero preload one up and midway two up where as with the standard spring I was a max two up and looking more.
I rode like that for 4 years and 25k then the shock went. Bought a Wilbers 640 I think with remote preload and front fork springs. But had trouble with both. Bike was very high and hard, more like a sports bike, all comfort was gone. Tried 5w and 2.5w fork oil with 150mm air gap but still the forks where harsh to say the least. I removed the springs.
The rear was high,  Wilbers had set the static preload  at 15mm,my guess is to cover for a pillion. Once I removed 3 full turns from the preload all is much better, static preload is now 10mm.
I might refit the front fork springs with a 10mm shorter spacer now I've  lots of free time!
 Think I if I was doing it again I'd  try Hyperpro both ends or take both to a suspension expert like MTC, Kas, etc.
Start with the standard settings and increase the preload a few clicks or lines at a time till the bike feels firmer but not to firmer or high. I think mine was 16 clicks on rear shock and one line up on the front forks. Rear damping I maxed then backed off 3/4 off a turn. Front I've set at standard rebound and a few clicks less on compression as I always find the forks harsh on small sharp dumps. Hope you find something to suit you, just remember its not a sports bike, never will be no matter what suspension!

Offline Bobmc

• Bike: DL1000 K6 and DL650 L3 Honda Vf500f2 Honda Vf750 Honda VF1000r Honda VFR750 Suzuki DR350 Kawasaki KLX 450r BMW G 650 GS
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 15:31:37 »
I have used MCT and they are excellent You could make the ting unbridgeable if you fiddle with the settings yourself

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 19:06:42 »
The standard suspension was one of the things that convinced me to buy my 2016. I find it superb on very close to standard settings riding solo. I max out the rear pre load on the rear with a pillion and still very good. I rarely ride with luggage. I could maybe see it being a bit overloaded carrying a pillion and a lot of gear.