Author Topic: Bike broke down.  (Read 842 times)

Offline KatanaAl

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000XT & Suzuki Katana 1000
Bike broke down.
« on: March 24, 2020, 19:39:35 »
As we could all see the lock down coming, I taxed my 2019 DL1000XT online on Sunday evening and went for a blast out into the Scottish Borders on Monday. The bike lost all power and stopped after 60 miles in the middle of nowhere. For North East owners, through Kielder village heading for Saughtree on the single track road. The bike would turn on but wouldn't fire, couldn't hear the fuel pump priming when turning on. Next problem no signal, fortunately I was with a friend on his Kawasaki Z1000SX and he took me to the nearest village, Newcastleton. I rang Suzuki Assistance (AA) and they took my details and then told me according to the DVLA database my bike was SORN'd. I spoke to a supervisor explaining that I'd taxed the bike online the day before and that the bike was completely road legal. They told me I would have to prove it. I explained that I had taxed  the bike using my laptop and that this was 60 miles away at home and that my phone was extremely basic and asked them how could I prove it. Anyway I rang Ian Myers who owns M&S Motorcycles in Newcastle who is a personal friend and he arranged to pick me and the bike up. I will of course have to pay for this. I have logged a formal complaint with the AA via Suzuki UK and they are currently investigating. I have forwarded emails proving that the bike was indeed taxed. My bike is now in the workshops at M&S who are now closed until further notice. I also told Suzuki UK that I was extremely disappointed that my 10 month old bike with 5000 miles on the clock had broken down and that my V Strom and my Katana are my 28th and 29th Suzukis over 43 years. None of the previous ones have broken down. They didn't seem interested.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Bike broke down.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 21:37:08 »
Sorry to hear you broke down. It's such a pain in the... when relatively new bikes breakdown for no reason.
Suzuki weren't really interested in my bike when it broke down too, in Newcastle, despite it being a connector within the wiring loom that had given up. At least your bike is still under warranty.

I hope Suzuki reimburse you any collection charges, and your bike isn't off the road too long.

Offline bladeowner

• Bike: DL650 L9, Honda Fireblade RRY
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 22:01:35 »
Shame about the break down  :shock:. When you ring Suzuki Assistance, do you get a Suzuki person or is it the AA?

Offline KatanaAl

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000XT & Suzuki Katana 1000
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:59:00 »
When you ring Suzuki Assistance you get through to the AA. I have spoken to Suzuki UK who have passed my complaint on to the AA who are investigating the matter.
Before I retired I was a Project Manager and when we appointed a Main Contractor they were fully responsible for all their Sub Contractors. I feel that Suzuki UK should be dealing with my complaint directly and not passing it straight over to the AA.
Not particularly bothered that my bike is now locked up in M&S Motorcycles workshop, I have no justification to ride it in these exceptional times.