Author Topic: Wee - Lost Instrument Cluster !  (Read 1038 times)

Offline listermint

Wee - Lost Instrument Cluster !
« on: March 21, 2020, 08:45:53 »
Hello Lads,

So my 2010 Wee was giving some guff with the headlights going out and in, repaired the starter switch several times and cleaned the connector block left side of bike too, both resolved. But kept on giving problems.

So I got the beaver kit and installed that, perfect all works.

Prior to the beaver kit being installed my left front indicator was giving some issues, off alot but on rarely. (just the front left).
Once Beaver Kit was installed all indicators were lost, no left right or hazards. So I assumed the relay had gone.

This is where the not fun starts!

I decided to test some of the relay sections but I bridged the 12V Brown Positive to the Orange Yellow which seems to go to ignition. (according to wire diagram)

I've now lost my instrument cluster. The only thing showing is the clock, and the main headlight (blue LED) bulb. Everything else is blank. When turn on bike the arms of both counters go over and back as normal but I get nothing afterwards its like its dead.

Decided to pick a second hand at scrappers. And plug it in same scenario.

Any ideas what to check next? have I blown something where do I start. Head banging off a wall at this stage.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Wee - Lost Instrument Cluster !
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 09:08:36 »
Fuse .. ?
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 09:25:40 »
Plug on back of the instrument cluster is worth a check. It's easy to not reconnect it properly if you've had it disconnected. When it starts to work loose due to vibration you lose instruments, warning lights work intermittently. I had it happen to me and I wondered wtf was going on.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline listermint

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 09:33:17 »
Which fuse though?

I've checked the plug to the instrument cluster it's nice and tight no corrosion hard to budge too.

Perhaps my bridging has nothing to do with it and was coincidence and issue is related to the indicators. The large block connector?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 11:43:52 »
Look in the fuse box and check every fuse if you are not sure. 

Always check the simplest solutions first .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 15:28:02 »
I would have a good look at all the multi plugs and make sure they are clean having done that check all the relays and power to the same.
good luck I am sure you will find it in the end but it is a pain finding these things

Offline listermint

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 20:09:40 »
So back again.

Spent a small but of time back at this again today. Having checked the fuses for the indicators issue I thought I was OK there . But k hadn't checked them again when I bridged it. Signal fuse was fried great , got the dash fully back working.

Then on to the indicators issue , opened the control stalk just to see nothing was obviously amiss . It's built far more sturdier than the starter side to be honest. Solder and cable is more robust .

Pulled down the radiator to get access to the connector for the indicators. They go to this yellow connector block which is in the middle of the rear radiator plastic protector. Popped it out cleaned everything up and bingo all fully back.

Delighted . Electrics are a pain.

Also it's much easier to gain access to this particular connector than the whole tank removal nonsense. Drop side plastics and beak plastic  then drop the radiator gives you two inches or so of play.

Now on to some preventative maintenance. Head stock bearings (roller update) and replace front wheel bearings too.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 21:25:47 »
While you were there you should have put bicycle tyre chamber over connectors and zip-tied it on both ends.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline listermint

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 09:56:01 »
Would have but I've not rubber hanging around. sprayed with ACF50 . can always come back its not hard to get to. can get in and out in 20 minutes