Author Topic: Fitting LED side lights.  (Read 806 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
Fitting LED side lights.
« on: March 02, 2020, 16:57:11 »
Here's how I changed the side lights to LED on the 2013 650 (2011 - 2015?).
After trying as best I could to get my hands in from above and below I just couldn't get to the back of the connector/bulb to get a good enough grip to remove it.
Decided the only way was to remove the dash. Wasn't looking forward to it but in the end it wasn't too bad, putting it back however!!!!  :roll: It tells you how to do it in the hand book so won't go into it here.
Once the dash was off access was easy. It does say it the handbook to remove the connector first then twist the bulb holder 45* anti clockwise but you can just turn the whole thing 45* anti clockwise and it will come out, so if you have small hands and the skills of a Gynecologist you may be able to manage removal and replacement without taking the dash off.
I've had some LED bulbs in the draw for a few years now and fitted those. I'm not sure how good they are or how long they will last as reports aren't good but they're in now!  :thumb:
A few photos to maybe give you a clue of what to look/feel for. The connector shown by the red arrow is the one I used for the voltmeter.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Fitting LED side lights.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 20:29:14 »
You get pretty quick at removing the dash once you've done it a dew times. My side LEDs always failed just before the MOT or at least that's when I noticed them  :shy: (same as the number plate light  lol ).