Author Topic: ACF 50  (Read 1345 times)

Offline BeeTee

• Bike: DL1000 L5
ACF 50
« on: February 12, 2020, 19:14:19 »
Bike is Sat outside work all day, it has previously always been parked under cover.

Is acf 50 worth using?
What do you put it on?
Are there alternatives?

I've obviously heard of it and read of others using it but never used it myself.

:ty:

Offline Jamieboy

• Bike: DL650XT L5
Re: ACF 50
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 19:22:09 »
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/the-best-motorcycle-corrosion-protectants

This lot tested a whole lot of them against each other. Hope the above link works.

I used to use acf50 but now use xcp rust blocker. Don't honestly know the difference in actual corrosion protection but the xcp stuff is definateky easier to apply as it mists rather than squirts if that makes any sense.

Offline BeeTee

• Bike: DL1000 L5
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 19:45:45 »
Thanks, link works, I'll read through the tests. :thumb:

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 19:54:59 »
For a motocbike ACF50 will keep surfaces (not brake parts!) protected for some time. There are better products but not really for the shown surfaces of the bike, more 'undercarriage', but you can use it everywhere, XCP was shown to be the better. For electric connectors use ACF50 Corrosion Block Grease. (Can use it for bearings too.......)   :thumb:

Forget WD40 for sure.  :GRR:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 22:10:13 »
I've used ACF50 for a good few years now and at the moment it seems to be working.
There are other options but I know nothing about them.
You will need to wash the 'bike thoroughly then dry it well. You can use a paint brush or a cloth to apply it to everywhere you can. Some folk I hear put it in an atomizer type bottle and spray it on with that. Personally I am lucky enough to own a small compressor so put it in a spray gun and it goes everywhere. You only need a small amount so a light misting works great. Warm it up in hot water this weather before trying to spray it.
As was said above don't get it on your tyres or brakes!!   

Edit
If you want to wash it over the winter period and use a soap you will need to re-apply the ACF50. The general opinion is just leave it but if there is salt on the roads just wash/hose it off with cold water as soon as possible.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 13:51:06 »
 :text-goodpost:

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 17:25:24 »
This is a really timely and useful thread, I just started looking yesterday at the possibility of treating my 650 with ACF50.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 17:42:00 »
<snip> Personally I am lucky enough to own a small compressor so put it in a spray gun and it goes everywhere.<snip>
I used a spraygun too, but found it was hard to direct it and I got a lot of overspray. That's not a problem around the engine, but it's a bit nerveracking around the brakes. I ended up buying a dirt cheap airbrush from eBay (a tenner, maybe), and find that really good for being able to quickly apply it to precisely the areas I want, with hardly any overspray. You can mist it into the bigger areas too if you need to.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 18:12:06 »
Yes, that can be a problem especially around the wheels/tyres/brakes. I cover the wheels & calipers with some old cut up sheets, spray the bike then I apply the ACF50 (carefully) to the rims & calipers with a paint brush & a cloth.
Because you don't need to use a lot I make sure the paint brush is 'wiped' a few times on the edge of the container to remove surplus.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.