Author Topic: Those damn Throttle Body Boots!  (Read 1974 times)

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Those damn Throttle Body Boots!
« on: September 17, 2019, 04:44:37 »
Hello everyone. Could you please tell me is there any way to push the tb boots back on place without removing tank and airbox? Recently they quite sure popped out (again) because bike started to back fire when decelerate quickly. I had a problem with them before. Basically bike is getting false air. Pictures would be very helpfull (how to reach them if possible without tank removal).

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Those damn Throttle Body Boots!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 07:33:24 »
If I recall, the tank will have to lifted but not necessary to be removed completely. It is just easier to work on with the tank removed. Have you by any chance read https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,2990.0.html?

Online MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 07:49:02 »
There are several threads on here about wiring the boots down to the base so that they stay on permanently.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline pichulec

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 09:15:16 »
I am going to do this wire mod in two week times. I would like to also replace Suzuki clamps to stainless steel ones, could you recommend me a size of them??

Offline D16PJM

• Bike: BMW R1250GSA, David Jefferies R1, ZX9R, Suzuki T20
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 17:40:01 »
I had this with mine and I think I was over tightening, when I backed the clip off it no longer popped off, sounded good when backing off though.

Pete

Offline pichulec

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 08:38:49 »
Anyone can point me to video or pictures of airbox removal?? DL1K 05. I couldn't find it.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 11:57:17 »
Can't find much either, pichulec. There's this photo of the underneath of a 650's box HERE. It's pretty straightforward though, I remember...might need extra long screwdriver for a couple of screws
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 16:04:36 »
It looks like there is very little on the subject, https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=28258.0
Snap some pix for your own reference before removing any pipes or connectors. Mark said pipes for later reassembly. Perhaps remove in this order:
Step 1 - Understanding how the rivet fasteners work, when removing the tupperware / covers, https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,10928.0.html
Step 2 - Remove the tank, https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=7566.0.
Step 3 - Remove all pipes and plugs connected to the airbox.
Step 4 - Remove the airbox with the aid of a longish screwdriver.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/DL1000-2002-2012/12479-got-tfi-how-do-I-remove-airbox.html also has info on the connectors to be removed on the airbox.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 16:58:00 »
Do you know how to remove the tank..?  you can see the rear inlet quite easily, it may be possible to do the mod with the air box in place and keep the original clamp's..? Or is there more to the mod than just some lock wire ?

If you want to remove the whole air box you will  need a very long cross point screwdriver to reach the front clamp from the offside of the bike through the gap in the frame, you would need a torch and sharp eyes to see the clamp screw . 
From memory the offside panel gets in the way a little so you have to move it up slightly.

Once you have loosened the front and rear clamps lift the air box, you will see attached several push fit pipes, an air sensor and underneath to the offside the clean air system is attached, this can be a pain to remove as the screw holding it all to the air box faces downward..  :dl_smiley_banghead:
Take note of what you remove with photos and use them as reference on reassembly. 

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline pichulec

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 20:12:08 »
I think I will try to do the mod without removing airbox, too much hassle and too little information. Today I lifted a tank little bit and tightened rear clamp. Bike straight away started idling higher (like before) and don't pop when decelerate anymore. Looks like the rubbers were loose not pop off. But next week I want to do it properly.