Author Topic: Frame Damage  (Read 1161 times)

Offline kingmunky

• Bike: DL650 L1
Frame Damage
« on: September 19, 2019, 13:42:43 »
So...my side stand failed this morning, but, not just the stand, the whole section of the frame with the mounting points for the side stand sheared clean off. I only just caught the bike but don't know what to do now, luckily I have a centre stand so it's no the end of the world, just really annoying.

Spoken to a couple of fabricators who say it could be welded but they'd want the frame only to work on and couldn't guarantee that any repair would be durable enough to take daily use long-term. Not ideal.

If I'm going to have to strip the bike anyway, I'd rather just buy a 2nd hand frame and know it's all in good condition.

The only other think I can think of is to have a new mounting plate fabricated to fit over the centre stand side plate and get mounted on with the same bolts. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Offline kingmunky

Re: Frame Damage
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 13:45:13 »
I thought the three bolts for the centre stand could get removed, fabricate a new plate that includes mounting points for the side stand, fit it over the centre stand plate and re-fix using longer bolts?

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 14:01:29 »
For comparison....the circled section is where the shear failure has occurred.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 15:10:59 »
Wow .. don't see that happening too often..  :shock:.
Personally, if that happened to me I'd purchase a good used frame.
I agree with the advice you have been given regarding welding it back on , it just wouldn't be guaranteed and I hate to come to my bike one day and find it in the floor.
As for making a mounting plate to bolt onto the centre stand bolts , I wouldn't as the loading at that point isn't designed for the stresses of a side stand and would probably break eventually.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 16:03:37 »
Fair point, I hadn't thought about the force/stress from the side stand being applied in a different direction on the centre stand. Probably would be as likely to fail, long-term, as a weld would do and like you say, it would be gutting to come back to it having a wee lie down one day.

Was hoping for a lightly cheaper repair, but needs must, I'm not too confident about the engine mount bolts being so close to the failure as well, although the bulk of the frame around the bolt is still sound.

to be honest, I think that someone has nudged it in a car just enough to start a crack/split but not to tip it and over time it's just got worse and worse. Can think of how else that would fail, not that I'm a huge bloke but even I never sit on the bike whilst on the stand etc.

Offline Jamieboy

• Bike: DL650XT L5
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 19:30:51 »
Sorry to hear of this and bad luck mate. Just a thought re cause. Have you been on a ferry with it? I went on the Brittany ferry from Portsmouth to santander and had to ask the bloke to stop ratcheting down my bike as it was clearly already perfectly secure and tight. Saw him do other people's bikes and the amount he ratcheted them must have put massive strain on the side stand.

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 19:47:13 »
Quote removed

Nah, never been on a ferry with it. I’m not the first owner though so it’s a possibility.