Author Topic: Disaster! Van may have totaled my wee..  (Read 1641 times)

Offline usherc

• Bike: DL650 K7
Disaster! Van may have totaled my wee..
« on: July 04, 2019, 14:50:41 »
Hello all, had a leisurely breakfast on Saturday and came out to find my bike had been knocked over and the van that did it had legged it!.. Luckily a witness saw it happen, so should be OK insurance wise. Assessor has just texted me to advise it's probably a write off. Other that the obvious damage to the side, the bike wouldn't start. I'm hoping it's just a stuck tip over sensor,  but if the insurer offers for me to buy it back.. That's the one thing that worries me, if, for example the engine is toast?.. When I tried to start it, the fuel pump primed but the starter did nothing.. Is that normal for a tip over sensor, or would the starter motor turn but no ignition?.. Any thoughts would be appreciated,  cheers.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Disaster! Van may have totaled my wee..
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 14:59:32 »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Two places to look are the clutch switch and side stand switch, but I think these only come into play when in gear (I could be wrong!). It has been known for the switches to become disconnected in a fall over and prevent a restart.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline usherc

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 15:13:44 »
Thanks for the reply, I'm guessing those aren't too expensive or tricky to replace?.. Problem is, that I may have to make a decision about buying the bike back without seeing it, so won't be able to check exactly what's wrong.. Bit of a gamble! I'm assuming the likelihood of major damage to the engine is minimal?.. it didn't go down hard, was just nudged off the stand.

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 15:45:28 »
I would think it is just the tip over switch once you have checked it is the correct position just turn the ignition on and off a few times and hopefully all will be well, but if push comes to shove you should make your money back+ with all the parts for sale

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 15:55:31 »
Try to see it before buying back. I guess it depends how much they'll give you vs how much you want. It's unlikely to be anything major if it was just nudged over. My biggest concern would be frame damage and any obvious engine case damage. If they seem OK then the bike should still be usable. But as mentioned above, worst case you could break it or sell it as repair.

I seem to remember reading a post recently about someone's bike being 'written off' only for the assessors to then sell it on for a lot more money than the person received...

Offline usherc

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 17:45:01 »
Just spoke to the insurer who've said that the final decision will be made by an independent assessor.. But that I can have a copy of the report, so that should tell me what needs doing.  I'd put crash bars on, so shouldn't be any major case damage etc..most of the cost is going to be cosmetic, scuffed crash bars, footpeg, backbox, front mudguard.. If I get it back,  I believe it would only need to get it started and replace the indicator for it to be roadworthy again.. So all depends on what the report says and how much they're offering!

Offline usherc

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 09:27:33 »
Any idea as to how the tip over sensor cuts ignition? As I say, everything lights up and the fuel primes, but starter switch literally does nothing..almost as if the emergency cutoff switch was on. Tried to check the wiring diagram, but everything goes via the ecu, so can't tell if the tip over would still allow the starter to spin?.. Anyone had a tip over activate and can remember if that meant the starter switch being completely dead? Thanks for all the help.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 09:42:46 »
Did you look at the tip sensor? Is it in correct position or it felt off and it's laying somewhere in horizontal position??
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 13:27:07 »
I think the tip sensor has 'Up' written on the top of it and obviously that should be clearly visible (and level) under the seat.
You have checked the clutch switch connector too? That little bugger is prone to pop out and the bike won't start until it's put back in.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 15:35:32 »
Aye, as has been said, check the clutch switch at the handlebar - it stops the starter turning the engine over (but not the priming afaik).

The bike might even bump start!?  Also check the sidestand switch located very close to the sidestand.

If these don't work, find the tip-over sensor under the seat and try tapping it firmly a few times now the bike is upright! As mentioned, try fully cycling the ignition a few times, too.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline usherc

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 17:13:05 »
Hi,  thanks for all the pointers.. If I get the bike back, I'll be sure to check the tip over sensor is in the position etc.. But without seeing the bike I'm trying to get a feel for how likely it is to be the sensor. Ie.if the sensor cuts the starter switch, which was what I was experiencing? Thanks

Offline usherc

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 14:31:45 »
So.. Got my bike back today, insurance wrote it off and valued it at £1000 for me to buy it back,  which I thought was OK given most of the damage was cosmetic and some solid advice from this forum about what to check regarding it not starting (tip over, clutch, side stand etc)..I wasn't that worried about the mechanical side... However..

I get it back and there's massive scratches on the other side of the bike on the fairing which weren't there when the insurance company picked it up?! So I'm in the middle of complaining about that, but also,  the battery was completely flat and I can hear the alarm box (acumen cat1) relays clicking and now even less is happening when I turn the key? Whilst the insurance company has had it, they've clearly been monkeying with the alarm, so now I don't know if it isn't starting because the immobiliser had kicked in? Or if they've clipped a write or something because the alarm was annoying them? I have the bike on charge and am hoping it's just the internal backup battery in the alarm which needs to be recharged..but if not,  I have no real idea where to start? I'm getting the "chec" flashing on the dash, I understand I can put the bike in dealer mode with a jumper across some contacts..will that then give me a code and a better idea about what's happening?  Thanks

Offline Andy52

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 (2006), Honda PC800 (1989)
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 21:42:38 »
According to the Haynes bible, CHEC means there is no ECU signal due to one of these: kill switch off / faulty wiring or connector / faulty ignition interlock (I.e. sidestand switch etc.) / damaged ignition fuse. Maybe the alarm has caused this as part of the interlock system?

A dealer mode switch will give you fault codes but if the above is right you presumably won't get a code. I got a cheap dealer mode switch from eBay - it's just a plug with a switched connection between two pins.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline usherc

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 09:25:13 »
Thanks.. I'm starting to think it is related to the alarm, I guess the immobiliser will be cut into one of the kill switch circuits, hence the chec coming up, if the alarm is dead and there essentially a break in the circuit. The bike battery was completely flat, even the led / clock etc. was blank.  In my experience, batteries don't tend to be much good after being totally drained, so even though I've charged it and its showing 12.8v.. I don't trust it and I'm wondering, if it is suspect, will it be charging the internal backup battery in the alarm?.. I've currently got a car battery hooked up on the drive, hoping it might put enough charge into the alarm so that I can switch it off!.. probably buy a new battery for it tomorrow, so at least I'm sure that isn't the problem. I'll have a go with the jumper and dealer mode on the off chance it gives me a code which points me in the right direction... Fingers crossed!