Author Topic: Starting Problems  (Read 1020 times)

Offline kingmunky

• Bike: DL650 L1
Starting Problems
« on: June 05, 2019, 07:57:09 »
My 2011 650 is refusing to start. The last couple of weeks it’s been sounding rough when starting, sounded like the starter was struggling to turn but it got there in the end.
Yesterday it just wouldn’t turn over after I had it MOT’d so I bumped it, ran fine but when I stopped that’s was it done.
The battery is reading 12.68v when ignition is off, around 11.9, but erratic, when ignition is on and 12.03 when I hold the starter switch. I can hear a click (starter relay?) and high pitched noise (fuel lines priming?) when I hit the starter but there’s no turnover.
Does anyone know whether I’m looking at a new battery, or do I need to test the relay and connections first? Hoping there’s just some loose/dirty connections but didn’t have time to test any more last night.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: Starting Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 08:43:18 »
Starter motor/brushes?

I had a Diversion which did more or less what you've described. Eventually it wouldn't start. had to renew the brushes.

The motor is easy to get at and remove. Worth a go........
So how's it going so far then?

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 09:20:57 »
Cheers Joe,

I've got the service manual so know what checks to run through to test where the failure is, hopefully it's all straightforward.  :thumb:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 10:24:07 »
Mr kwackboy (proper mechanic) on here gave a thorough testing routine for batteries recently
 HERE

hope this helps
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 10:56:08 »
It's a good starting point, thanks very much - I hate electrical issues so any advice is good advice imo  :)

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:37:14 »
Just to close this one off, turns out it was the starter motor. The casing has corroded through in two places and as a result there was a load of disintegrated crap inside. As well as that the brushes had worn unevenly, with two of them fooked completely and two reasonable. Swapped it out completely, not worth even contemplating an overhaul.

Tried to upload photos but nothing seems to work, anyone able to help?