Author Topic: Absolutely desperate for help. To do with panniers. Givi trekker outback.  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Skylineonfire

• Bike: V strom 650
Hello blokes at my wits end here. I leave for a 3 week trip in a couple of weeks and I got a 2017 Vstrom 650 used for a great price last week.

The vstrom came with the default Suzuki panniers. I own a set of givi trekker outback panniers so I brought the rails as I usually do when I get a different bike and went to fit them myself  to replace the Suzuki plastic panniers it came with.

I can't fit them as the bodywork seems to be altered specifically for the Suzuki pannier and won't fit my trekker outback pannier rails as there's seemingly a different bit of bodywork on there.

It protrudes outwards and there is no way of getting mine flush. I intend to call a local Suzuki dealer for help tomorrow.

Has anyone got any advice or anything at all?

Really desperate and this is the last thing I need right now it's all just a bit much.

Sorry for the negativity of this just having a really hard time and could do with a break.

Thanks anyway if anyone can help I would really appreciate it

Offline Skylineonfire

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
See if this helps

Offline Skylineonfire

Thank you.

His bodywork looks completely different to mine as it hasn't got the 3 hooks for the stock plastic panniers.

I read in the comments that a bloke had plastic spacers to avoid the hooks entirely. Unfortunately I don't have those.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Is there a discrepancy between the build year and registration year? Which model bike do you have, and which frames?

Offline Skylineonfire

I have the 2017 650. Not the XT.

I can see what's different on the video vs mine. He has a flat panel to bolt the rack to while I have one with 3 hooks to put the plastic Suzuki panniers on.

I don't have the original bodywork either.

I'm going to have to source the original panels I think

Offline Skylineonfire

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/Suzuki-parts/2017-dl650axa-v-strom-motorcycles/frame-cover

Parts 8 and 9 look like the original panels?

I think I just need to order these and hope they arrive quickly

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
Looking at the video, and your photo...
Do you just need to remove the Suzuki mounting pieces to get to the same back-plate?
As you say you then fit different brackets in their place?
Good luck :thumb:
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline SuzukiSte

As above parts 8.& 9 seems they need removing. :thumb:

Offline Methusela

• Bike: DL650XT
My 1000 came fitted with the Suzuki panniers but, they also came with the original flush fitting bits of bodywork which had been removed so that the fittings for the panniers ie the hooks etc., could be bolted on. I have just traded this bike, but included these fittings when handing it back. Hope this helps

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
I fitted Outback panniers to my 2017 DL1000 a while back. The top part of the frames mounted using the oem bolts that hold that bit of plastic near the seat, but involved making the holes bigger though fit a spacer. As an temp fix, until you can source the right parts, you should be able to fit the Givi racks by just removing the oem part.
Might be worth asking around the local dealers to see if they have any origanal, none pannier bits laying around.